Venezuelan nationals

Flashback October 2020:- A group of Venezuelan nationals walk along Independence Square, Port of Spain . Photo ISHMAEL SALANDY.

One hundred and seventy-eight Venezuelan nationals were repatriated on Friday.

This was confirmed in a statement from the Ministry of National Security yesterday.

The process was managed by the Immigration Division, the Trinidad and Tobago Coast Guard and authorities from Venezuela.

The 178 Venezuelans, including a number of children, departed from a ship at the Chaguaramas heliport, the Sunday Express was told, with the consent of the Venezuelan authorities received since the end of 2020.

On February 27, a repatriation flight from Piarco to Caracas, organised by the Venezuelan government, took 96 Venezuelans home.

Initially, the flight encountered difficulties, as the Conviasa plane to be used had been denied permission to land, as that airline has been sanctioned by the ­United States. The ministry reached out to the United States Embassy, and cooperative discussions resulted in the 96 Venezuelan citizens being returned to their home ­country on the aircraft.

In an unrelated incident, 17 Venezuelans were jailed when they appeared at the Siparia Magistrates’ Court on March 29 and March 31. They were all charged for several offences—including illegally entering the borders, in contravention of the Immigration Act and Public Health Regulations. They all received custodial sentences ranging from 14 days to six weeks’ imprisonment, police said in a statement. The drivers in the group, Eliomar Daniel Malalu Sotollio and Johanson Jose Jaimez Carpios, were additionally charged for aiding and abetting the others in illegally entering the borders, as well as driving ­without a certificate of insurance.

Carpios was also charged for driving without a ­permit. The vehicles driven by the two men to facilitate the illegal entry were seized by an order of the court. The group was arrested on March 21 by officers of the South Western Division and Emergency Response Patrol (ERP).

Around 9 a.m., the officers conducted a stop-and-search exercise along the SS Erin Road, Siparia.

During the exercise, they stopped a green ­Toyota Corolla driven by Sotollio and a black Nissan Tiida ­driven by Carpios. There were five men, four women and two infants in both vehicles. They were all arrested ­after they were unable to provide evidence that they had ­legally entered the country, police said.

Based on additional information received, the officers proceeded to Quarry Road #1, Siparia, where they found other Spanish-speaking people hiding in bushes.

They were also unable to provide evidence of legal entry into the country and were arrested. They were all charged with the offences, police said. —AB


Former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin was convicted yesterday of murder and manslaughter for pinning George Floyd to the pavement with his knee on the black man’s neck in a case that touched off worldwide protests, violence and a furious re-examination of racism and policing in the United States.

“A victory for justice” was how secretary of the Emancipation Support Committee Trinidad and Tobago (ESCTT) Khafra Kambon yesterday described the guilty verdict handed down to former United States police officer Derek Chauvin for the 2020 murder of Minnesota man George Floyd.

It was Frankie’s day in the Senate.

The Senate sitting yesterday was devoted to paying tribute to former energy minister Franklin Khan, who passed while in office.

No other business was conducted.

As a memorial to Khan, a floral arrangement was placed on his desk, which carried his name plate.

Three more people have died from Covid-19 and a whopping 171 new cases have been recorded.

It is the second highest figure over the last few days, with 134 recorded on Sunday.

The Ministry of Health gave the latest figures in its daily update yesterday evening.

THE Appeal Court has affirmed a High Court ruling delivered last year in which it was declared that the Public Health Regulations set in place by the Ministry of Health to battle the Covid-19 pandemic were in fact passed in accordance with the law.

This was in spite of the regulations not being subjected to parliamentary scrutiny before certain activities by members of the public were made illegal and, by extension, attracted criminal sanctions.