A 69-year-old man with pre-existing medical conditions is Tobago’s first COVID-19 death.
The Division of Health, Wellness and Family Development of the Tobago House of Assembly confirmed the death in a media release yesterday morning.
The Secretary, Administrator and staff of the Division extended condolences to the man’s family and friends. The death in Tobago brings to seven the total number of COVID-19 deaths for Trinidad and Tobago.
The man, a retired foreman of Moriah, Tobago, had been warded at the intensive care unit of the Scarborough General Hospital for almost two weeks. His immediate family members are in quarantine.
Surrounded by three family members, the man was laid to rest at the Bucco Public Cemetery yesterday afternoon.
The burial service was officiated Pastor Michael Williams of the Lambeau Church of God.
Tobago recorded its third COVID-19 case on March 30.
According to the Division’s media release yesterday, no additional cases have been recorded since then.
It said 19 people have completed quarantine at the Division’s quarantine facilities while 43 people remain there.
In its 4 p.m. update yesterday, the Ministry of Health reported that one additional person tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total national figure to 104.
The number of people discharged from hospital remains at one, it stated. The Ministry said of the total positive cases, 49 came from the group of nationals who recently returned from a cruise.
Forty-six cases came from the group who returned from the cruise together and three positive cases came from the group of nationals who returned from the same cruise separately from the 68 nationals.
—with reporting by Elizabeth Williams