David Young

Shot in the head: David Young

THE BULLET that ended the life of David Young remained at the crime scene for days before it was found.

As a relative cleaned the blood-stained room of the man who was just months away from retirement, the slug that caused the fatal injury was discovered.

It was overlooked days earlier, on April 11, 2016, when detectives and crime scene investigators swept through the house at Ramdhanie Street, St Margaret’s, Claxton Bay, searching for evidence of the killing.

Young, also called Glen, was shot while he slept in his bed, and died on the blood-soaked mattress in a house he had lived all his life.

His brother-in-law Cosmos Hamlet said he was cleaning the room when he found a suitcase beneath the bed with a bullet hole.

Hamilton peeped into the suitcase and found the bloody bullet.

“They (killers) took nothing. They shoot him in the head as he tried to raise up. All the blood drained through and into the boards. One shot to the head. He didn’t stand a chance at all,” said Hamlet.

A life well lived

Young was 19 years old when he entered the public service in the Ministry of Health. He worked his way through the ranks and at 58, having attained supervisory status as a public health inspector, he began planning his retirement.

He had planned to purchase a new vehicle and perhaps visit his sister in New York, Hamlet said.

Another man, who spoke to the Express under the condition of anonymity, said Young was homosexual.

Young had an argument at a bar with someone from the “trainline” who did not approve of the homosexual lifestyle, the Express was told.

“Glen did not mess with anyone. He liked to cook and lime at home. He used to keep ducks. He liked to make himself happy and invite his friends by him to eat, drink and that was it. People were shocked to know that they killed Glen. It was a shock that he was killed in that manner. It is a sad thing,” the man said.

“It was not a robbery, it was personal. Three years have passed and the information is coming out. The guy that put down the work had a falling-out with Glen by the bar. They were drinking by St Margaret’s Junction. The issue arrive with a personal talk...homosexual talk, and the guy was opposed to homosexuals. He was the only one who had a problem with him. When Glen was buried, he (the suspect) laughed and said ‘one more gone’,” the man told the Express.

What happened

The Express was told that the two men who entered the house that night were known criminals in the Claxton Bay area.

They have since died — killed in unrelated incidents.

The man who pulled the trigger was shot 21 times.

The accomplice was the killer’s cousin, and he, too, was gunned down.

Young’s sister, Sheila Hamlet, said she turned over to police the bullet that killed her brother. “That was it. The police never came back here. Nothing ever came of that after,” she said.

“When the police left that day Glen was killed, that was it. No one was ever arrested. They never even came to us for any form of a follow-up,” said her husband.

Young was the second person killed on the premises.

Get caught up with news from the news leader
Subscribe now and get access to the Trinidad Express E-paper

About ten years earlier, a co-worker of Young, Shirlon Boxhill, was stabbed to death in the house.

That killing was also never solved.

“Nah, the house is not blight. That was just how things happened,” said Cosmos Hamlet.

The house remained locked until three months ago when a relative and his wife moved into the premises.

Last memory

Sheila Hamlet cherishes the last memory of her brother in the house.

She said both she and Young were born in March, and he threw a party for them.

“He celebrated his birthday on March 29 and I was the 18th. He bought vodka and orange juice for me because he knew that is what I drink. We enjoyed that lime.

“I remember he had bought a camcorder from America and he couldn’t use it, but he gave it to someone and we did a video of us drinking, eating and enjoying ourselves. He cooked curry duck and we had a great time. Then 12 days after they killed him,” she said.

Cosmos Hamlet said: “Glen loved his job, he was hard-working. He had a few months to go before retirement. He worked over three decades in the Ministry of Health. He was not an aggressive person. He liked to have fun and talk plenty. He was never arrested for anything. He was an upstanding member of the community. People will form their opinion no matter what. It is a sad time we are living in.”


THERE are no criteria for the opening of rehabilitation centres in Trinidad and Tobago. This was pointed out by Prof Gerard Hutchinson, head of psychiatry of The University of the West Indies, in an interview with the Express last Friday.

Former judges have begun to ­receive their enhanced pensions. But former ministers are still waiting on theirs. Former judges, including former chief justices, began to receive their increased pensions in their bank accounts late last week. The amounts paid were arrears which dated from June 25, when the measure was passed in the Parliament.

Four suspects are in custody following the brutal murder of a 19-year-old in Carapo on ­Saturday night. This killing, along with the murder of Bryan Felix and Alim Khan, who left their homes to cut logs (see story at right), on Saturday night have pushed the murder toll to 421.

A tropical wave is passing over Trinidad and Tobago tonight and it will result in partly cloudy to cloudy conditions and scattered showers and the medium to high chance of isolated thundershowers. Gusty winds, street and flash flooding may occur. This was the forecast for today given by Piarco duty meteorologist Paula Wellington yesterday.