Killed: Shazard Manick

MORE than a week after a doubles vendor was gunned down in Curepe in an attack witnessed by scores of passers-by, there has been no arrest and police said that no one seems to want to come forward to give evidence.

Investigators said that this has stymied their enquiry despite the incident occurring in a “very public place.”

Police said that on August 10 around 9.45 p.m. victim, Sharzard Manick, 34 were preparing doubles for scores of people at Curepe Junction when two men walked up to him and using automatic rifles they opened fire hitting Manick several times about the body.

The sounds were so loud residents as far away as Balata Trace, Maracas Valley initially thought that the sounds were out of season fireworks.

Get caught up with news from the news leader
Subscribe now and get access to the Trinidad Express E-paper

People who were nearby fled in all directions but when the shooting stopped and the killers ran off, they came back some of them filming Manick’s last moments.

Eventually he was taken to the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

Police are asking that anyone with information with regards to who was responsible for the very public murder to please come forward or even use the Crime-stoppers Hotline at 800-TIPS.


Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley said the results of the Nigel Henry poll, published exclusively in the Express yesterday and today to mark four years of his Government in office, were “very encouraging”.

Citizens have come to trust the police more but have little faith in the country’s leaders. National athletes are a source of heroism to citizens while trade union leaders appear to have attracted the ire of the national population.

ONE hundred men and women of the Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force left yesterday to render aid to the Bahamas following the devastation left in the wake of Hurricane Dorian. The group, which also comprised personnel from the T&T Regiment, T&T Coast Guard and T&T Air Guard, departed just after 11.30 a.m. to head to Nassau.

MEMBER of Parliament for Port of Spain South Marlene McDonald will make her first appearance in the Port of Spain Magistrates’ Court today on a number of fraud-related charges.