A heartbroken mother wants to know the truth of her daughter’s death.

Annie Rambarran, the mo­th­er of 16-year-old Reshma Ram­­barran, wants to find out what her daughter was doing in a vehicle with a 44-year-old man when it crashed, killing her daughter.

This after learning that Pra­kash Roopnarine, the man behind the wheel, was not a taxi-­driver.

Initial reports had said the ASJA Girls’ College, Barrackpore, pupil was returning home after classes in a PH taxi.

The vehicle crashed along the M2 Ring Road, Princes Town, around 3.45 p.m., three Thursdays ago.

Roopnarine died at the scene.

The schoolgirl was taken to the San Fernando General Hospital where she died the next morning.

There were no other passengers in the vehicle.

Further investigations however revealed Roopna­rine was not a taxi-driver.

He lived in Monroe Road, Cunupia.

The teenager’s parents are now seeking answers.

The single mother of two is asking whether her daughter knew the driver or had accep­ted a lift from a stranger.

“This case is a mystery to me. I thought he was a PH driver or something. Now, the police telling me he is not. I was told he is a counsellor or something. I don’t know if he offered my daughter a drop. I really don’t know,” she said.

Rambarran is pleading with anyone who knows what happened that day to come forward.

“I am not blaming anyone. I just want to know what happened, for closure. I lost my child and I don’t know what happened before she died,” she said through tears.

Last to know ek, Rambarran said she attended Roopnarine’s funeral at the Shore of Peace cremation site seeking answers.

“But no one was willing to say anything. No one could say what he was doing in Barrack­pore and whether he was working PH. So my daughter just died and I don’t know anything. The police said he was not a taxi-driver and I am left in the dark,” she said.

Rambarran admitted her daughter had told her about a male friend. “She told me she had a friend, but she said his name was Shane. I never saw him before, but he called on New Year’s Day and I spoke to him. His voice was young and nice. But, you know, parents are always the last ones to know what is going on in your children’s lives,” she said.

Rambarran recalled the last conversation with her daughter. “She woke up and said she was not feeling to go to school that day, but she had a test so she went to do that. The day before, she went to the cyber café and did some work,” she said.

Later that afternoon, Rambarran said police officers visi­ted her home with news her child was involved in an accident.

Rambarran went to the hospital’s accident and emergency department and remained at her daughter’s side until her last breath.

The mother said her daughter’s cellphone was not returned to the family.

“I was hoping we can get the cellphone back so we can get some clues to this unsolved mystery. I don’t know if my child was getting a drop or what was really happening there,” she said.

The Express contacted the teenager’s father, but he too was clueless.

Richard Rambarran said his daughter had spent the weekend before school reopened at his home. He said they shared a close relationship and he was distraught by her passing.

Rambarran said he too wanted closure. “I don’t know what happened. I cannot under­stand why everything is a secret,” he said.

The Express contacted Roopnarine’s relatives, but no one was willing to speak about the incident.

A relative said, “I can’t talk to you about it, that is not my place.”

Senior officers at the San Fernando CID said the case was being investigated.