Faris Al-Rawi

looking at low risk:

Faris Al-Rawi

“It was only through the grace of God that no one was killed.”

These were the words of Attorney General Faris Al-Rawi yesterday while speaking to the Express following a report that someone had shot at the Ministry of the Attorney General and Legal Affairs at the Government Campus Plaza in Port of Spain.

The incident reportedly took place around 8.40 a.m.

Police said people along Richmond Street heard a series of gunshots, estimated to be about five.

One of the shots entered a window on the western side of the building on the third floor — an area Al-Rawi frequents.

It proceeded to hit a cubicle nearby and lodged itself in.

At the time no one was seated at that cubicle.

“It was only through the grace of God that no one was killed or injured. And I am thankful for that,” Al-Rawi told the Express.

He noted that following the incident, workers removed themselves from the nearby windows, and out of potential harm.

The police were notified and officers of the Port of Spain Division, supervised by Snr Sup Moore and Sup Brandon John, responded.

Al-Rawi praised workers in his building who continued to operate in the building.

“I thank them for their patience and their bravado, despite the scenario which took place,” Al-Rawi said.

However, the incident had left him concerned for those who operated in the building, as well as his own safety.

He said he would not let that affect him in the execution of his work.

“I have been in politics for over ten years now. This is not the first time that a situation like this has happened. And while I hope it may be the last, I do not expect it to be.

“It was made public that the lives of the Prime Minister (Dr Keith Rowley), myself, and even the Commissioner of Police (Gary Griffith) have been threatened, among others. It seems to me that once work is being done, there will be those opposed to it. And sadly, things like this will happen,” Al-Rawi added.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

THERE is a backlog of 7,000 ballistics cases in Trinidad and Tobago.

This climbing backlog is as a result of a shortage of ballistics examiners and lack of space which has resulted in delayed legal proceedings.

Last month, two arms of the Ministry of National Security—the National Forensic Science Centre (NFSC) and the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service (TTPS)—collaborated to launch a training programme, entitled Firearm and Toolmark Examiner Training, at the Police Training Academy in St James.

TRINIDAD and Tobago nationals stuck abroad have become so desperate to return home that some have attempted to bribe staff at the Ministry of National Security to get preferential treatment in the exemption process.

Now, National Security Minister Stuart Young is warning that this will not be tolerated and anyone attempting to bribe his/her way back to T&T will be reported to the police.

Young was speaking during the Ministry of Health’s virtual news conference yesterday, where he revealed that ministry staff have been offered bribes.

Political parties can have walkabouts with more than 25 people, but they must be separated into smaller groups.

Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh gave this advice yesterday, as he urged political parties and candidates to adhere to the public health regulations to prevent the spread of Covid-19 as they embark on their pre-election campaigning.

AS investigations continue to determine who shot Ornella Greaves in Beetham Gardens, more and more cell phone videos are being released on social media sites.

Greaves, a mother of five, who was pregnant when she was killed was shot at about 10 a.m. on June 30 when police officers and Beetham Gardens residents clashed during a violent protest.

CHIEF executive of Namalco Construction Services Naeem Ali has filed private criminal charges against three police officers alleging that they assaulted him and stole $.2 million from his vehicle during an exercise in Penal two Wednesdays ago.