The contractor who was caught illegally dumping hospital waste has been served a Litter ­Removal Order, in accordance with the ­Litter Act.

On Monday, waste from St Augustine Private Hospital—comprising cardboard boxes, patient medical information, used gloves, bags of medical materials and other rubbish—was discovered on an abandoned lot by residents of Palm Drive, off St John Road, St Augustine.

194dd175-dce9-4510-8e70-70cdbad22f5a.jpg

The Health Ministry stated yesterday officials from the Office of the County Medical Officer of Health for St George East immediately investigated the matter.

1938fafc-01b2-485a-97b5-6f5544704834.jpg

“In this regard, while illegally dumped waste was observed, no bio-hazardous waste was found at the site, contrary to media reports.

“Further, it should be noted that the ministry officials visited the St Augustine Private Hospital to ensure that their waste disposal practices are in accordance with best practice. Ministry officials also interviewed persons in the area of the illegally dumped waste,” said the news release from the ministry.

“Our investigations further revealed that the disposal was contracted out to a private contractor by St Augustine Private Hospital. Consequently today, Tuesday, February 26, the Ministry of Health served a Litter Removal Order on the party responsible for the illegal dumping, in accordance with the Litter Act,” it added.

The ministry stated it also communicated with the Ministry of Rural and Local Government so that relevant action can be taken by the appropriate municipal corporation, in regard to illegal dumping on the said site.

The ministry stated it remains committed to safeguarding the health of the population and will enforce all laws and relevant regulations necessary in that regard.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

As the country recorded an alarming seven new Covid-19 deaths yesterday, among them was a young medical doctor.

Dr Shival Sieunarine, 33, died in the Intensive Care Unit of the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex, Mt Hope, where he had been taken for treatment after falling severely ill.

In a 30-minute virtual funeral service, friends and relatives said goodbye yesterday to the Siparia father and son who died from the Covid-19 virus hours apart last week.

Five relatives were allowed to witness the double cremation at Belgroves Funeral Home and Crematorium in San Fernando.

The Covid-19 death toll continued to increase alarmingly, with seven more deaths being recorded by the Ministry of Health yesterday.

The death toll jumped from 196 on Friday to 203 by yesterday evening.

It is the second time this number of deaths has been recorded in one day since the start of the pandemic.

The Sinopharm Covid-19 vaccine is safe and has undergone a rigorous assessment by the World Health Organisation (WHO).

This was Health Minister Terrence Deyal­singh’s response to Oro­­pouche East MP Dr Roodal Moonilal yester­day after Moonilal warned people to be cautious about being used as “guinea pigs” for the vaccine, which only has emergency-use approval.

Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh’s tears have moved Port of Spain Mayor Joel Martinez to act decisively to put an end to liming on the Brian Lara Promenade.

Effective immediately, the Promenade is entirely off-limits.

The public will not be allowed to even walk through the Promenade and should instead use the pavements.