Leon Ramsey

DEAD: PC Leon Ramsey

A POLICE officer was crushed to death early yesterday morning in a motorcycle accident.

Police confirmed PC Leon Ramsey died in the crash along the Churchill-Roosevelt Highway in San Juan.

Commissioner of Police Gary Griffith and the executive of the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service (TTPS) extended condolences to his family, friends and colleagues.

Around 3 a.m. Ramsey, a motorcyclist attached to the Traffic and Highway Patrol Branch, was returning to base in Aranjuez after completing patrol duty at Ariapita Avenue, Woodbrook.

Ramsey was on the eastbound lane of the highway, in the vicinity of the Courts Mega Store in San Juan, in the company of motorcyclist PC Clark, when a pedestrian attempting to cross the highway came into his path, police said in a statement.

“Ramsey swerved in an attempt to avoid the pedestrian, picked up a skid and fell off his motorcycle, which collided with the unidentified pedestrian.

“He was subsequently run over by an oncoming vehicle. Both PC Ramsey and the pedestrian died at the scene,” the police statement said.

Ramsey, of Lange Park, Chaguanas, had approximately four years of service.

Police said they are on the lookout for the silver car that failed to stop after the incident.

Anyone with information on the involved vehicle is asked to call 800-TIPS or contact the police at 555, 999, 911 or at any police station, text/WhatsApp 482-GARY (4279) or share information via the TTPS app.

PC Clark was also injured after he fell from his motorcycle while attempting to avoid colliding with the man.

He was taken to Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex, Mt Hope, where he remained a patient last night.

Corporal shot

In another incident, a police corporal attached to the Emergency Response Patrol was shot multiple times at Righteous Lane, Pinto Road, Arima, yesterday morning.

Police said some days ago, Cpl Frank Fox—who was off-duty at the time—had taken his vehicle to a garage at Righteous Lane to be repaired.

He returned to the garage yesterday morning to collect the car.

As he did so, three men, one of whom was armed with an automatic gun, approached and attempted to rob him.

The officer was said to have resisted, and he was shot in the stomach and hand.

He was taken to Arima District Hospital for treatment, and later transferred to the Mt Hope hospital.