PC Allen Moseley

gunshot wounds to head and chest: PC Allen Moseley

A POLICE officer attached to the Guard and Emergency Branch (GEB) was shot dead in Morvant early yesterday morning.

Just hours after he was killed, three men — who police initially believed to be suspects in the murder — were also shot dead by officers.

The killing of PC Allen Moseley, 32, occurred shortly before 4 a.m. at Seales Avenue along Morvant Old Road.

Reports indicated that residents of the area reported hearing the sound of gunfire and later found Moseley’s body at the side of the road.

He had gunshot wounds to the back of the head and chest.

His vehicle was parked nearby.

Investigators were unable to say if the killing stemmed from a robbery gone awry or if Moseley was gunned down because he was a police officer.

They were able to confirm that Moseley, a father of five, had gone to the area to visit a friend.

His killing has taken the country’s murder toll for the year so far to 224, compared to 248 for the corresponding period last year.

He is the first police officer to be killed in 2020.

Around 3 p.m., Police Commissioner Gary Griffith issued a statement on his Facebook page expressing condolences to the officer’s family and colleagues.

He said members of the Police Service were working on certain leads and were confident that those responsible for the killing would be found.

“To the person(s) who carried out this dastardly act, we will use all our resources to find you. We are pursuing certain leads in this investigation. I am sure there is someone out there who saw something. You can use the Police App, or WhatsApp 482-GARY with information, photographs or videos,” the Commissioner stated.

Around that same time, officers of the GEB went to the Second Caledonia, Morvant area where three men engaged them in a gun battle.

Police said while on patrol, the officers came upon a gold Nissan Tiida car with three occupants.

The officers attempted to intercept the vehicle but one of the occupants pointed a firearm at the lawmen and opened fire, causing them in turn and return fire in accordance with the Use of Force Policy, police said.

One of the men has since been identified as Cody Alves of Juman Avenue, Morvant.

Up to last night, the other two remained unidentified.

Following the incident, Alves and the other two men were placed in a police vehicle and taken to hospital.

They were pronounced dead on arrival.

While initial reports stated that the men were suspected of being responsible for Moseley’s murder, Commissioner Griffith last night said there was nothing linking them to the officer’s killing.

Griffith said the GEB officers were on a routine patrol when the shootout ensued.

For the year so far, 33 people have been killed in police-involved shootings.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

A soldier who attempted to break up a gathering at his son’s birthday lime in Point Fortin was shot dead by a police officer ­yesterday.

Lance Corporal Keverne Miller, 42, of Lakeview, Point Fortin, was pronounced dead on arrival at the Point Fortin Area Hospital.

Miller served 16 years in the Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force, his father, Daffort Miller, 73, said.

“I thought it was garbage.”

These were the words of a 45-year-old man on Thursday night while speaking to investigators in Valencia at the scene of an accident which claimed the life of 49-year-old Elvis Marcano.

AS the world yesterday recorded a “heart-wrenching milestone” of two million Covid-19 deaths, Uni­ted Nations Secretary-General Anto­nio Guterres said the pandemic’s impact has been exaggerated by a lack of global co-ordination—as he warned against inequity in the global distribution of a vaccine.

WEDNESDAY’S ruling by Justice Frank Seepersad in favour of the Trinidad Express against the State was not just a victory for the media fraternity in this country but also across the Commonwealth and Caribbean.

In a statement from its Barbados headquarters yesterday, the Caribbean Broadcasting Union (CBU) said it welcomed the ruling by Justice Seepersad in which he declared the warrants used by police to search the media house in March last year were “plainly irregular”, unlawful and unconstitutional.

Several scholarship winners are earning an income driving taxis while others qualified in the field of law are unemployed because the State has not placed them in jobs.

This, while the Solicitor General’s department is understaffed and in need of more attorneys.

This was one of the concerns raised yesterday during a meeting of the Joint Select Committee of Finance and Legal Affairs, enquiring into the ease of doing business in Trinidad and Tobago.