Gary griffith

Commissioner of Police Gary Griffith

As he flew out of the country yesterday on vacation, Police Commissioner Gary Griffith welcomed the decision of the chair of the National Security Council (PM Dr Keith Rowley) to bring in foreign expertise for the Drugs Sou Sou probe.

Rowley announced on Thursday night at a virtual PNM meeting in Belmont that British and Barbadian police officers were being hired to assist in the investigations into the seizure and subsequent disappearance of $22 million in cash which had been found in a house at Kathleen Warner Drive, La Horquetta, on September 22.

In a release yesterday, Griffith said these foreign officers would not be consultants, but would be sworn in as Special Reserve Police Officers and would have the powers of the officers of the TTPS to assist in this investigation.

As chair of the National Security Council, Rowley on Thursday night said he had contacted the British and Barbados governments, seeking advice on how the matter should be handled. The Prime Minister is awaiting the arrival of the foreign investigators.

In response to this decision, Griffith said sourcing of foreign officers will be instrumental to ­assist the TTPS in this investigation, which involves senior officers as well as members of the Defence Force. He noted that, on several occasions, there were reports that police officers were interfering and preventing the matter from being thoroughly investigated. The CoP pointed out that four officers were suspended and 11 others transferred, and there is the possibility that other officers could be suspended as the investigation progresses. “This matter has gone very deep, and if we can get that international assistance, because I have Trojan horses, and it goes very high up. So if this is an avenue that can assist me in bringing possible perpetrators to justice, especially those in uniform, I welcome that decision,” he said.

Transparency

Griffith said having external investigators could ensure a strong degree of transparency. He said he had selected a special team of police officers whom he can trust to work alongside the international investigators to deal with any possible rogue elements in the TTPS, and also to pinpoint persons outside the Police Service who may be committing serious criminal activity by this system which is being used—the DSS.

A police-led operation at the house in La Horquetta resulted in the seizure of $22 million in cash. The money was taken from the house to the La Horquetta Police Station to be counted. During the early hours of the following day (September 23), the money was handed back to a man who has been described as the founder of DSS, the TTPS release stated.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Thirty-eight-year-old Arima resident Allan Stoute was fatally shot by a close relative yesterday in front of three of his five children and wife.

His last words were: “...You shot me?”

He then fell to the ground, holding his stomach.

His wife Tiffany Khan ran to his side, leaving their three children in the gallery looking on, as the relative stood next to the dying man.

Cabinet has approved US$1 million (TT$7 million) to assist citizens stranded abroad.

“Just today Cabinet took a decision with respect to the replenishment of that sum of money... a million US dollars has been allocated,” National Security Minister Stuart Young said yesterday during the Parliament’s Standing Finance Committee on the 2020/21 budget.

Two more people have died from Covid-19, increasing Trinidad and Tobago’s death toll from the virus to 103.

The two people are elderly males with pre-existing medical conditions, the Ministry of Health reported in its daily update yesterday.