Several officers at the La Horquetta Police Station have been questioned about their role in returning $22 million seized from a house in the community on Tuesday morning.
The Express was told that officers—including a police inspector and an Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP)—were asked about the process which was followed in returning the funds to the company that called itself a sou sou group.
Some officers may be transferred depending on what evidence is gathered, senior police sources disclosed yesterday.
It is also possible some officers may face disciplinary hearings or even suspensions, depending on the enquiry.
When the Express returned to the scene yesterday, police vehicles were observed patrolling along Kathleen Warner Drive in Phase One, La Horquetta.
While officers were seen observing the building, and those who entered and left, no further searches of the compound were conducted, nor were any officials questioned.
When contacted, senior officials in the Police Service said there had been no new operation in the area since Wednesday.
But they noted police reserved the rights to seize the cash again, or detain people for questioning should further evidence or intelligence of possible illegal activities be unearthed.
Commissioner of Police Gary Griffith announced on Wednesday that he had launched an investigation into how the $22 million was returned to the company, without his knowledge, and without a “proper investigation”.
He has called the act “suspicious” and asked publicly how the decision to give back the money was reached, and how many receipts were viewed by the officers in question.
He questioned if any of the officers who gave back the cash could have been involved in the pyramid scheme.
Originally, nine people were detained on Tuesday as a result of the police operation.
The cash was strewn about the home in boxes, and took more than 13 hours to be counted.
Early Wednesday morning, officers at the La Horquetta Police Station were approached by company officials and lawyers and provided with receipts which purported to account for the money seized.
After the receipts were reviewed, the money was handed over.
The people interviewed—including a soldier—were released.
Griffith was also initially unaware of this, as while he was on radio, he told citizens none of the nine detained people had been released, and that he had no intention of releasing the cash any time soon as investigations could take weeks.