Anthony Garcia-new-use-headshot

Education Minister Anthony Garcia

ONE week after Caribbean Prestige Foundation (CPF) announced there will be no 2020 National Schools Soca Monarch, the Ministry of Education has taken up the mantle.

The ministry yesterday said aspiring soca artistes will not be left without an opportunity to showcase their talents this year, as it will be hosting its own event called the Junior Soca Competition.

It will be held next Thursday and is titled “Terrific Thursday”.

It will be held at The Auditorium, Government Campus Plaza, Richmond Street, Port of Spain, from 9.30 a.m.

Last Thursday, the CPF announced it would spend the next few months restructuring the schools soca competition, so the event would not be held this year.

In a statement yesterday, Education Minister Anthony Garcia said the Junior Soca Competition will replace CPF’s National Schools Soca Monarch.

He said this is the second time the ministry will host the competition.

The inaugural Junior Soca Competition took place in 2018, when the CPF made a similar announcement one week before the event.

“Cultural education forms an important part of students’ education. We have a responsibility at the Ministry of Education to ensure that our culture is being kept alive. Competitions like this give students the opportunity to showcase their talents and abilities. It also represents the opportunity to value the hard work of teachers and parents working together for the benefit of our students,” Garcia stated.

He said primary and secondary school pupils will compete for the ­Junior Soca crown, while exhibiting some of the highest levels of talent, sportsmanship, creativity, intellect and raw talent.

“School Carnival competitions are examples of the effectiveness of the visual and performing arts curriculum within our nation’s schools,” Garcia said.

The Junior Soca Competition ­format will be a single round. Registration is open online until February 16 at 11 p.m. The online link to registration forms is: https://www.moe.gov.tt/moe-junior-soca-competition/.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

THE South West Regional Health Authority (SWRHA) was yesterday found liable for damages following a lawsuit for medical negligence filed after a welder died from a flesh-eating bacterium.

That was soca king Machel Montano’s brief response to ­reporters yesterday, when asked how he felt as a newly married man.

Montano, 45, and his new wife, Renee Butcher, a yoga instructor, have gone down in history as the first couple to be married at the Red House since its restoration and ­reopening last month.

An alleged shoot-out with police on Thursday night in San Rafael has left one man dead.

The dead man had not been identified by his real name up to last night.

PRIME Minister Dr Keith Rowley left for Barbados yesterday to attend the 31st Inter-sessional Meeting of the Conference of Heads of Government of the Caribbean Community (Caricom).

TEN Kings and ten queens will compete in the finals of the King and Queen of Carnival, following Thursday night’s preliminary competition at the Queen’s Park Savannah in Port of Spain.