Tenile Cupid

slain mother of 2: Tenile Cupid

A 41-year-old Fyzabad man has been detained in connection with the death of mother of two Tenile Cupid.

The man was held at his Cotton Drive home on Wednesday afternoon.

Police had been searching for the man who was last seen with Cupid on Monday night.

Cupid, 23, was reported missing by her mother after she failed to return home on Tuesday. Her body was found later that day at a WASA facility in Santa Flora.

Cupid had walked away from a relationship three weeks ago and was staying with relatives at Easy Street, Fyzabad.

Relatives said she left her home in a vehicle driven by a man she knew around 10 p.m. Tuesday.

Her mother, Nathalie Manzano, told police she began calling her daughter’s phone from midnight but there was no answer.

Manzano said she called the man’s phone around 2 a.m. and he answered.

He said Cupid had “jumped out” his vehicle and entered another car.

He told Manzano he was “surprised” Cupid had not yet come home.

Cupid was the mother of a seven-year-old girl and four-year-old boy.

Relatives said Cupid walked away from a relationship with a man she had lived with for almost five years.

She never complained of being verbally or physically abused by her companion, relatives said.

Beaten badly 

Her sister, Anastacia Knights, told the Express that following her sister’s murder, a co-worker said Cupid was severely beaten three weeks ago.

“When she came back home she said she was fed up and left. We never knew she was beaten. And she never said she was afraid of him,” Knights said.

An autopsy is expected to be conducted at the Forensic Science Centre in St James today.

In a post on social media, Cupid’s cousin, Shenice Maitland, wrote about Cupid’s decisions and her life.

“At this point...I jus wanna scream...regardless of how she lived her life, some people only saw the bad until she died...but say what, people do make mistakes and then there’s some that tried to fix them by settling down with someone so their names would be out of people’s mouth just to please society,” she wrote.

Maitland said her cousin loved her companion but eventually left the man because of abuse.

She said Cupid decided to walk away and take control of her life.

“I remember she had her breaking point she confided in me n said her body, mind and soul got used to the abuse n she thought that nobody would want her because of her past so she stayed...until she got fed up and broke off the relationship it only took three weeks,” she wrote.


While many citizens were celebrating being able to return to beaches and cinemas, the business community said it was disappoin­ted with the relaxed measures announced by Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley yesterday.

THE previous three articles in this series told the stories of people who died by suicide from the perspective of the loved ones they left behind. Today, we conclude the series with the story of a young woman who attempted suicide and lived through it. Her daily struggle with depression and suicidal thoughts underscores the extent to which people with suicidal ideation need ongoing support. The final part of this series also focuses on the important role which all of us play in preventing suicide.

Energy, trade and combating domestic violence are just a few of the issues that Harriet Cross intends to focus on in her new post as British High Commissioner to Trinidad and Tobago.