Stuart Young__use

‘I have nothing to hide’: National Security Minister Stuart Young speaks during yesterday’s news conference at the ministry’s head office on Abercromby Street, Port of Spain. —Photo: ISHMAEL SALANDY

After the grounding of the four US$348 million AgustaWestland helicopters in June 2017, one of them is ready to take to the skies again.

Speaking at yesterday’s meeting of the Standing Finance Committee, National Security Minister Stuart Young announced that Cabinet recently took the decision to refurbish one of the AW139s.

On June 30, 2017, Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley at a post-Cabinet news conference had stated the Government could not afford to pay the negotiated $200 million-a-year to maintain the helicopters which had been acquired in 2009.

“We just can’t afford that. And if we can’t afford it then the helicopters will just stay on the ground... The question that arises is: Is that the best way to spend $200 million in the fight against crime?” the PM asked.

Following the termination of the maintenance and technical support contract, the company, Cobham PLC, took the Government to court and was eventually awarded US$10 million in January of this year.

Young said in the Standing Finance Committee: “We have recently taken a decision at Cabinet to get one of those AW139s back in operation, which I expect would happen in the next couple of weeks.

“The asset has been refurbished and is ready to take to the skies again. So during that time there was a reduction in the need for certain officers, pilots and mechanics, etc and there will be a recruitment to get some of those personnel back on board.”

More staff to be hired 

In discussing measures to enhance the Coast Guard fleet, Young said the Coast Guard also had two smaller helicopters.

“Covid caused a setback in terms of pilots having to do (simulation) training and having to be recertified. (Covid) had slowed the process down. So that is taking place now. We have the two fixed-wing C26 aircraft, both are operational... But there is some additional work to be done to those aircraft from a surveillance point of view,” he said.

Responding to a question from Barataria/San Juan MP Saddam Hosein on whether Government intended to fill vacancies in the Coast Guard in light of the acquisition of two new Cape Class vessels which are due in Trinidad and Tobago shortly, Young said there would be an increase in the recruitment in the Coast Guard.

“We are looking at the increase in the need for manpower and if necessary we will go to Cabinet with respect to that.”

However, he stressed: “There is no complaint with respect to a lack of manpower with respect to the borders. As I have said on numerous occasions, when you have maritime borders it is impossible to have a full and impenetrable wall, as we see happening in the UK and areas in Europe and even in the US. But with respect to the two Cape Class vessels there is going to be a recruitment to make sure that those vessels have sufficient crew for the rotation to have them out at sea.”

Ballistics training

Notwithstanding the freeze in hiring in the public sector, Young said there would continue to be recruitment in the various arms of national security (fire, police, prisons, defence force). He said the freeze would apply to the “administrative side” of the ,ministry.

He said if the Public Service recommends promotions they will be made.

With respect to the Forensic Science Centre (FSC), he said the Government continues to push hard to increase the expertise and experienced personnel, especially in forensic pathology.

On the issue of ballistics, he said the FSC trained 25 police officers in ballistics to help supplement expertise in this area.

He said Cabinet continues to offer scholarships in forensic pathology but this was not an area where people were rushing into and if they are nationals, they are not coming back home. However, he stressed that while the FSC was operating with two pathologists (out of four) there was no backlog at the moment, “knock on wood”.

Young also announced that Cabinet took a decision to reduce the contributions by ten per cent to regional bodies (such as Caricom IMPACS) under national security.

He said it cannot be that Government is reducing its expenditure but regional bodies are increasing their expenditure in the current climate where other Caricom countries are facing even more difficulty than T&T.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

ALL 250 people detained early yesterday morning at a “zesser party” in Caroni will be charged.

This is the assurance of Commissioner of Police Gary Griffith.

He told the Express he had given directives that everyone held at the event be charged under Paragraph 4(d) of the Public Heath coronavirus legislation.

While some are expected to appear before a Chaguanas magistrate today for the offence, others will face charges via summons as names and addresses of everyone who attended the event were obtained by police.

AYANNA PAUL, a 30-year-old unemployed mother of seven, wants to help her children to find a future of hope, even in poverty.

But Paul and her partner cannot afford this on only his earnings as a market vendor.

Pointe-a-Pierre MP David Lee, Chief Whip for the United National Congress (UNC), is maintaining his position that the statistics do not support the continuation of the anti-gang legislation.

Lee was speaking during a news conference at the Office of the Leader of the Opposition, at Charles Street, Port of Spain.

It’s a lie! It’s a damn lie!

This is how Vasant Bharath responded to accusations by incumbent United National Congress (UNC) political leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar that he had campaigned for the People’s National Movement in the lead-up to the August 10 general election.

Bharath, who is Persad-Bissessar’s sole competitor for leadership of the party in the UNC’s December 6 internal election, held a news conference yesterday at his campaign headquarters in San Juan, where he addressed the issue.

More than 20 Trinidadian contract workers at farms in Canada say they have been neglected by the Government.

Many left the country in early January prior to the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic to undertake farming positions contracted through the Ministry of Labour and are still awaiting exemptions to return home.