FIFA Investigation Warner Soccer

FILE - In this June 2, 2011, file photo, suspended FIFA executive Jack Warner gestures during a news conference at the airport in Port-of-Spain, Trinidad and Tobago. The former Caribbean soccer official has been ordered to pay a $79 million penalty stemming from the FIFA bribery scandal. A federal judge in New York City imposed the judgment against Warner in a lawsuit brought by the Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football. (AP Photo/Shirley Bahadur, File)

NEW YORK (AP) — A former Caribbean soccer official fighting extradition in the FIFA bribery scandal has been ordered to pay $79 million in damages from a related U.S. lawsuit.

U.S. District Judge William Kuntz ordered the default judgment against Jack Warner in the 2017 civil action accusing him of embezzling tens of millions of dollars from the Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football. The written ruling was issued in federal court in Brooklyn on Tuesday after Warner failed to contest the claim.

The soccer association "intends to pursue all available avenues to enforce the judgment in any jurisdiction where CONCACAF has reason to believe Mr. Warner may have assets," plaintiff lawyer John Kuster said in a statement Wednesday.

Warner, 76, is a defendant in a sprawling criminal investigation that has resulted in convictions of several top soccer officials. He's out on bail while challenging a U.S. extradition request to Trinidad and Tobago, where he's denied any wrongdoing.

There was no immediate response Wednesday to an email sent to one of his lawyers.

The suit accused Warner and Chuck Blazer, another soccer official who died after it was filed, of negotiating bribes and kickbacks in connection with lucrative broadcasting rights for tournaments including the confederation's Gold Cup championship. Allegations in the suit also mirrored criminal charges saying that Warner, while he and Blazer were members of FIFA's executive committee, took a $10 million payment to influence voting on which country should host the World Cup.

Get caught up with news from the news leader
Subscribe now and get access to the Trinidad Express E-paper
SUBSCRIBE/ LOG IN

Warner "agreed to provide Blazer with $1 million of the $10 million bribe," according to the suit. "Unsurprisingly, when the FIFA Executive Committee vote was held on May 15, 2004, South Africa was selected over Morocco to host the 2010 World Cup. Warner and Blazer both voted for South Africa."

Blazer's estate agreed earlier this year to pay $20 million in damages in the civil case.

Warner's sons, Daryll and Daryan, pleaded guilty to fraud charges in the criminal case in 2013 as part of a cooperation deal. They're both out on bail with travel restrictions within the U.S. and are awaiting sentencing.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

All schools are to remain closed today. However, Government offices and businesses will be open as usual. National Security Minister Stuart Young made the announcement yesterday, during a joint media conference, held at the ministry’s office, Port of Spain.

PUBLIC UTILITIES Minister Robert Le Hunte said yesterday that the passage of Tropical Storm Karen would go a long way in restoring Trinidad’s supply of potable water.

Trinidad and Tobago awoke on Sunday to news that the tropical wave that was expected to pass over the islands yesterday morning had developed into Tropical Storm Karen, and that the country was under a Tropical Storm warning.

Dormant for 22 years, the Piparo Mud Volcano has stirred to life, and there is a strong likelihood that it will blow. Senior geoscientist at Touchstone Exploration, Xavier Moonan, who visited the site yesterday, said he had found all the signs for a significant eruption.