Ricardo Mohammed

Killed: Ricardo Mohammed

THE father of a teenage boy who was shot and killed by a police officer during a party in 2014 has been awarded more than $1 million in damages by the High Court.

The awarded sum could have been significantly higher but because there was no evidence to guide the presiding judge on the amount to be compensated for pain and suffering, that aspect of the lawsuit was not considered.

It was on the morning of September 28, 2014, that 17-year-old Ricardo Mohammed was shot once to the neck by a police officer during a party at the Old Navy Restaurant and Bar at the Military Museum along the Western Main Road.

In October 2017, his father Ricky Mohammed filed a lawsuit against the Office of the Attorney General seeking compensation for his son’s death as a result of negligence on the part of PC Clyde Best.

Get caught up with news from the news leader
Subscribe now and get access to the Trinidad Express E-paper
SUBSCRIBE/ LOG IN

During the trial before Justice Frank Seepersad at the Hall of Justice in Port of Spain yesterday, the boy’s father was the only witness to testify. PC Best did not show up for the hearing even though he was previously informed of the trial date, attorneys said.

His witness statement was however tendered into evidence for the court’s consideration in arriving at a determination in the matter.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

OPPOSITION Leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar says the Oilfields Workers’ Trade Union (OWTU) is attempting to deflect scrutiny of what she described yesterday as its failure to protect former Petrotrin workers.

Tabaquite MP Suruj Rambachan said yesterday he was very concerned about fraudsters coming into the country and operating and working illegally as spiritualists and “ripping people off”. Noting that there were such persons “all over the country”, Rambachan said they were sometimes being facilitated by local people.

THE Elections and Boundaries Commission (EBC) said yesterday it will meet with the United National Congress (UNC) on Thursday, following the party’s complaint that the commission ignored its request to investigate some “1,684 inconsistencies and anomalies” within several electoral districts.

FIVE officials from the Licensing Authority were among six people who stood before a Port of Spain magistrate yesterday morning accused of fraud, conspiracy and misbehaviour charges related to the re-registration of a vehicle stolen from a Petit Valley man last year.

THE Ministry of Health employee whose image was plastered over social media earlier this month and labelled as a “bandit” has instructed his attorneys to issue a pre-action protocol letter to the woman who made the original post, seeking a public apology and “significant” monetary compensation for defamation of character.