Jada Pierre

underwent surgery:

Jada Pierre

A 22-year-old nurse remained in critical condition at the San Fernando General Hospital yesterday after she was beaten with a hammer by a former boyfriend.

Jada Pierre, a geriatric nurse of Siparia, was attacked and struck in the head on Friday afternoon.

Pierre’s stepfather, Allan Pierre, spoke to reporters at his home in Siparia yesterday.

He said the attack on his stepdaughter occurred soon after he left home.

He said she was found by a dri­ver near the forest reserve in Fyzabad, with head injuries.

Allan Pierre said he and Pierre’s mother left home around 2.45 p.m. on Friday.

He said: “Before we left, she told me she was going into Siparia to get something to eat. Within a half-hour of us leaving her at home, we got a call from someone in the area telling us they just found her through the field road with injures to the head.”

Pierre was taken to the Siparia Health Facility, then transferred to the San Fernando General Hospital.

At the hospital, she told her mother an ex-boyfriend saw her along the field road near Sanderson Park and ­offered her a lift in his car.

While in the car, he asked for them to get back together.

Police were told he became angry and asked her to drive.

As she was climbing into the driver’s seat, the man struck her several times in the head with a hammer, then threw her out of the car before driving off.

Allan Pierre said his daughter had an on-again, off-again relationship with the man for the past eight years.

He said: “They knew each other from school days and that is the only person we knew as her boyfriend. He used to come here and lime in the day. He seemed like an ordinary fella. He was a very quiet person. He never showed any violent tendencies.”

‘I don’t know what

went wrong’

Pierre’s stepfather did not think she was in any danger.

He said people made up and broke up as a normal part of life.

Pierre said Jada ­rarely shared details about her ­relationship.

He said: “I never saw them have any major arguments, but like any relationship, there would be a falling-out here and there. I don’t know what went wrong in his head for it to reach to this.”

Pierre said doctors at the hospital performed surgery on Jada yesterday morning.

He did not know what type of surgery was done, but was thankful his stepdaughter is alive.

Last Friday, secondary school teacher Suzette Sylvester was found in her home, bludgeoned to death.

Her killer used a hammer.

Her husband, loans officer Kurt Sylvester, was charged with her murder and appeared virtually before a Couva magistrate on Friday.


Former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin was convicted yesterday of murder and manslaughter for pinning George Floyd to the pavement with his knee on the black man’s neck in a case that touched off worldwide protests, violence and a furious re-examination of racism and policing in the United States.

“A victory for justice” was how secretary of the Emancipation Support Committee Trinidad and Tobago (ESCTT) Khafra Kambon yesterday described the guilty verdict handed down to former United States police officer Derek Chauvin for the 2020 murder of Minnesota man George Floyd.

It was Frankie’s day in the Senate.

The Senate sitting yesterday was devoted to paying tribute to former energy minister Franklin Khan, who passed while in office.

No other business was conducted.

As a memorial to Khan, a floral arrangement was placed on his desk, which carried his name plate.

Three more people have died from Covid-19 and a whopping 171 new cases have been recorded.

It is the second highest figure over the last few days, with 134 recorded on Sunday.

The Ministry of Health gave the latest figures in its daily update yesterday evening.

THE Appeal Court has affirmed a High Court ruling delivered last year in which it was declared that the Public Health Regulations set in place by the Ministry of Health to battle the Covid-19 pandemic were in fact passed in accordance with the law.

This was in spite of the regulations not being subjected to parliamentary scrutiny before certain activities by members of the public were made illegal and, by extension, attracted criminal sanctions.