_JRC2300.JPG

Employees of Pricesmart, Port of Spain, apply hand sanitizer to shoppers on Thursday during panic buying, due to the Covid-19 virus.  

The Point Fortin Borough celebration may be in jeopardy.

The celebrations attract thousands of people, many of whom arrive from New York, USA.

Contacted yesterday following the announcement of this country’s first case of Covid-19, Point Fortin Mayor Kenny Richards said: “I called a briefing for in the morning concerning the whole celebrations and the whole issue with the coronavirus. I’m going to discuss it with my council.”

Several events have been cancelled regionally and internationally as a means of containing the spread of Covid-19 (coronavirus) which on Wednesday was declared a pandemic by the World Health Organisation (WHO).

Before the confirmation of the first case came, Point Fortin Mayor Kenny Richards told the Express: “As the situation develops, we will make that decision in collaboration with all the stakeholders; Ministry of Health and the Ministry of National Security.”

He also said financial investments have been made in the celebrations.

Richards however, added: “Safety is going to be the number one priority in anything that we do. If the safety of the burgesses becomes compromised in any way, we are going to postpone it.”

He said the celebrations begin on April 11 with a week of sports. The event, which includes a Carnival-style celebration, ends on May 3.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Video footage seen by the Sunday Express shows a Special Opera­tions Response Team (SORT) officer secretly stuffing a block of cash into his tactical uniform during the raid at a La Horquetta residence last week, during which an estimated $22 million was seized.

Restrictions implemented to control the spread of Covid-19 will remain in place for now.

But Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley says some measures may be relaxed as early as next week.

Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh is urging people in “high-risk” groups to access the H1N1 vaccine when it becomes available to the public this week.

Speaking during yesterday’s virtual news conference, Deyalsingh said 100,000 vaccines have already arrived in the country and the vaccination drive will begin on Tuesday.

University economist Dr Roger Hosein says Trinidad and Tobago’s recent history of accomplishing measures set out in the national budget is not impressive, and he is advising the Government to refrain from setting unachievable targets in the 2020/2021 budget.