SIEUNARINE RAMNARINE

SIEUNARINE RAMNARINE

A Trinidad-born man, now living in the United States, is appealing to citizens to heed the call to stay at home to protect themselves and their loved ones from the COVID-19 coronavirus.

This after his father who travelled to the United States in search of a better life died from complications caused by COVID-19.

Sieunarine Ramnarine, an employee at DJ Ambulette Service in the Bronx, New York, died last week Sunday.

He was among at least eight Trinidadians who have died in New York during the past week due to COVID-19.

Gabriel Ramnarine said his father worked at the company which provided transportation services for nursing homes, adult daycare centres and hospitals.

He said: “I am not sure where he contracted the virus (but) he didn’t have any heavy symptoms. He suddenly had stomach pains which he thought was not connected to the virus, he couldn’t hold it no more and went to Bronx Lebanon Hospital on Saturday morning, and it quickly escalated and he passed away on Sunday, March 30 at 1 p.m.”

The son said his father was alone and relatives were unable to be with him in his final moments.

Ramnarine pleaded with citizens of Trinidad and Tobago to stay at home and to “keep your loved ones inside”.

He said: “This virus can be shared from someone with no symptoms and not knowing contracted to you. It is fast and moves fast from person to person. Cover your mouth and nose in public, wash your hands and avoid being outside and in large groups.”

Ramnarine said the pain relatives feel knowing that their loved ones suffered and died alone was indescribable.

“Don’t die alone or cause that pain to your family. Stay inside,” he said.

Cunupia-born Kissoon Nandram, 57, died following a two-week battle on Friday.

The Sunday Express was told Nandram visited Trinidad in February to attend a relative’s 90th birthday celebration.

He would have celebrated his birthday in May.

Relatives believe he became infected with the virus when he returned to work in New Jersey.

Nandram went into self-isolation at his home and was admitted to hospital a week ago.

His wife and children have also been tested for COVID-19.

Lincoln Joseph, also known as “D General”, passed away on Thursday.

He emigrated to the United States 20 years ago.

Joseph, 78, was originally from Valencia.

Relatives said he showed no signs of COVID-19 but collapsed on March 30 and was taken to hospital. He tested positive for the virus and died four days later.

Denise Warren, 48, who moved to New York 20 years ago, has also died.

She was admitted to hospital for a respiratory illness and tested positive for COVID-19 on March 22.

She died on Friday.

Warren was originally from Beetham Gardens.

Other Trinidadians who died due to complications caused by COVID-19 were Trevor Pierre, a health and safety inspector in Brooklyn; San Juan resident Winston O’Neil who flew to New York to visit his wife two months ago; Dez-Ann Romain, an educator at a New York school; and Junior Toussaint who grew up in Laventille.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

This, following a meeting between Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley and five members of La Brea constituency executive on Wednesday.

Only five members are allowed to meet because of Covid-19 restrictions.

After a long wait, nationals employed with the Carnival cruise line have finally returned home.

Twenty-nine nationals who have spent months on board the Fantasy cruise ship, the lead ship of the Fantasy class of cruise ships, were placed into state quarantine last night at the National Racquet Centre in Tacarigua.

THE Trinidad and Tobago Police Service (TTPS) has launched a new unit to investigate and prosecute sexual offences in the country.

The unit is called the Sexual Offences Unit (SOU) and is expected to be headed by Snr Supt Claire Guy-Alleyne, who currently heads the Gender Based Violence Unit (GBVU).