crime

AN EIGHTEEN-YEAR-OLD pupil charged with the rape of a 15-year-old has been granted bail.

Michael Smith appeared before San Fernando senior magistrate Jo-Anne Connor on Monday charged with the sexual penetration of the teenager on two occasions last Friday at a house in San Fernando.

The alleged offences occurred after she was confronted by a friend of a schoolmate.

Constable Diamond of the Child Protection Unit laid the charges.

At his first appearance before Connor on Monday, Smith a secondary school pupil who lives in Santa Cruz, was remanded into custody for his criminal background to be checked. He returned to court the following day and the tracing showed he had a clean record.

Defence attorney Shaun Teekasingh made reference to this as he petitioned the court for bail for his client. He also said that Smith had been in custody since over the weekend without the tracing being done.

Police prosecutor Ramdath Phillip referred to Smith’s record as he made no objection to bail.

Connor placed Smith on $75,000 bail. A cash alternative was also granted.

The matter was adjourned to November 3.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

POLICE are seeking to question one of their own after a policewoman violently prevented her colleagues from arresting her brother near their Maloney apartment and one of the arresting officers was shot and the suspect escaped.

Calypso veteran Trinidad Rio (Daniel Brown) says he has collected his Carifesta payment.

“Yes I got paid,” an abrupt Rio told the Express yesterday via phone.

Rio caused a stir last Friday night when he put Minister of Community Development, Culture and the Arts Dr Nyan Gadsby-Dolly on the spot about the payment at the opening of the Back 2 Basics calypso tent, at Roslyn Hall, Auzonville Road, Tunapuna.

CLARISSA Jones has made it her life’s mission to find her missing daughter. Mere months before her 65th birthday, Jones has resigned from her job to make time for the daily search for her daughter, Susan Maynard.

FORMER Speaker of the House of Representatives Nizam Mohammed said Friday he was delighted that the Red House had been restored.

THE family of Attorney General Faris Al-Rawi takes in $20,280,000 a year in rent money from the State for four properties.