Tranquility Govt

The Tranquility Government Primary School. Source: Reynald Associates Ltd

A “cease to report” to work order has been issued to the teacher at Tranquillity Government Primary School in Port of Spain who has been accused of verbally abusing and threatening her pupils.

Education Minister: Anthony Garcia

Education Minister Anthony Garcia

Get caught up with news from the news leader
Subscribe now and get access to the Trinidad Express E-paper
SUBSCRIBE/ LOG IN

The teacher received the order yesterday and will not be allowed to return to the school, pending the completion of an investigation. Education Minister Anthony Garcia gave this update during a news conference at the ministry’s St Vincent Street, Port of Spain, office. The issue arose earlier this week when an audio recording was circulated, purporting to be the teacher berating pupils in her class. In the recording, the teacher could be heard calling pupils and their parents “dotish” and “ghetto”, and claiming she wanted to be suspended so she could relax at home with full pay.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

OPPOSITION Leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar says the Oilfields Workers’ Trade Union (OWTU) is attempting to deflect scrutiny of what she described yesterday as its failure to protect former Petrotrin workers.

Tabaquite MP Suruj Rambachan said yesterday he was very concerned about fraudsters coming into the country and operating and working illegally as spiritualists and “ripping people off”. Noting that there were such persons “all over the country”, Rambachan said they were sometimes being facilitated by local people.

THE Elections and Boundaries Commission (EBC) said yesterday it will meet with the United National Congress (UNC) on Thursday, following the party’s complaint that the commission ignored its request to investigate some “1,684 inconsistencies and anomalies” within several electoral districts.

FIVE officials from the Licensing Authority were among six people who stood before a Port of Spain magistrate yesterday morning accused of fraud, conspiracy and misbehaviour charges related to the re-registration of a vehicle stolen from a Petit Valley man last year.

THE Ministry of Health employee whose image was plastered over social media earlier this month and labelled as a “bandit” has instructed his attorneys to issue a pre-action protocol letter to the woman who made the original post, seeking a public apology and “significant” monetary compensation for defamation of character.