A man who tried to evade a speed trap ended up being chased by the police who charged him with 16 traffic offences.
Kipchogie Hicks was sent to jail and also disqualified from driving.
He appeared before San Fernando Magistrate Natalie Diop on Tuesday charged with five offences of dangerous driving, breaching five traffic lights, exceeding the legal speed limit, failing to comply with the instructions of a police officer, driving without a valid driver’s permit and a certificate of insurance and failing to produce these documents.
Police prosecutor Sgt Harold Ishmael told the court that around 12.15 p.m. last week Sunday, PC Ogir was on speed exercise duty along the south bound lane of the Sir Solomon Hochoy Highway, near Corinth.
He received information from the speed technician to stop a grey Toyota Corolla. Ogir attempted to do so but the driver did not comply and drove in a dangerous manner, causing Ogir to scamper for safety and other road users to swerve out of the way.
The officer got onto a marked police motorcycle and chased the car which was driven in a manner which caused other vehicles to swerve out of its path. Hicks breached five red traffic lights along the South Trunk Road and stopped at the car park at Price- Smart.
‘A scene out of a movie’
The officer identified himself and Hicks was told of the offences committed.
When asked for his driving permit, Hicks admitted he did not have one and this was the reason for him trying to evade the police. Ishmael told Diop it was like a scene out of a movie.
Hicks had previous charges for driving without the documents
Diop sentenced him to 30 days hard labour for not having a valid driver’s permit, and four months hard labour for driving without a certificate of insurance.
He was also sentenced to four months on each of the dangerous driving charges. In addition, Hicks was fined $1,000 for each offence of failing to comply, driving over the speed limit and breach of one of the traffic signs. In default of paying them, he will serve 30 days hard labour.
Hicks was reprimanded and discharged on the breach of the four other traffic lights and for failing to produce the driver’s permit and certificate of insurance.
The sentences are to run concurrently.
Hicks was also disqualified from driving for three years.
Tears in court
Meanwhile, contractor Dwayne Carter, 43, of Penal, yesterday appeared before San Fernando Senior Magistrate Jo-Anne Connor charged with driving without a driver’s permit and certificate of insurance.
He was stopped during a road block exercise at Debe at 3.20 p.m. last Thursday. His driver’s permit and insurance were requested and he told the officer he did not have any. He was arrested and taken to the Mon Repos Police Station.
PC Dewar laid the charges against him.
Defence attorney Sean Teekasingh said his client was the father of four and also took care of four other minors following the death of his brother.
He said Carter went to pick up his nephew who had finished writing an exam. He said while Carter’s wife would normally assume this responsibility, she was unable to do such on that day. Teekasingh said his client was experiencing financial difficulty and was unable to hire a driver and took a chance to undertake the duty.
He asked for a non-custodial sentence for Carter who wept while before the court.
Carter was fined in the past for driving without the documents.
He was yesterday ordered to immediately pay a $1,000 fine for driving without the driver’s permit or serve three months in prison. He was also fined $3,500 for not having insurance and was given three months to pay this fine or serve six months in jail.
He was also disqualified from driving for 12 months.
Carter was also charged with possession of five grammes of marijuana. He said he was not guilty and was placed on $2,000 bail. He was ordered to return to court for this offence on March 31.