Jack Warner

FORMER government minister Jack Warner

A United States District judge has found disgraced former FIFA vice-president Austin “Jack” Warner in default, in a US$20 million lawsuit brought against him by CONCACAF.

Judge William F Kuntz entered judgement last week Monday against Warner, who is facing extradition to the US in a separate criminal case.

Warner, who is also former president of the North American, Central American and Caribbean football confederation, is accused of taking millions in bribes and kickbacks.

It is alleged that Warner and fellow former FIFA official Chuck Blazer made a fortune through embezzlement.

Warner never responded to the lawsuit by CONCACAF after he was served with it in October 2017. Kuntz granted CONCACAF’s motion for default judgment against Warner, with no opposition, as he was unrepresented in court.

The lawsuit, filed in April 2017, mirrored allegations in the US indictment that resulted in charges against several top football officials.

“There can be no doubt that Warner and Blazer victimised CONCACAF, stealing and defrauding it out of tens of millions of dollars in brazen acts of corruption for their own personal benefit at the expense of the entire CONCACAF region,” the suit said.

It also sought US$20 million in compensatory damages and unspecified punitive damages. It includes the cost of the Centre of Excellence, at Macoya, which is also the focus of a separate claim in the local courts.

Warner has already been banned from FIFA for life.

In T&T, CONCACAF filed yet another lawsuit against Warner, in his personal capacity and as a partner in the firm Dr Joao Havelange Centre of Excellence; the centre itself; Renraw Investments Ltd and CCAN and Company, also in its personal capacity as partners in the centre; Warner’s wife Maureen; and accountant Kenny Rampersad and his company.

That lawsuit, being heard by Justice Ronnie Mohammed, seeks compensation for the misappropriation of funds with respect to the ownership and use of the Centre of Excellence (COE) complex. —CMC

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

PRIME Minister Dr Keith Rowley dis­­­closed last night that State-owned Pa­ria Fuel Trading Company will have to defend its decision to dis­­continue the fuel supply to local fuel retailer Unipet in court.

PEOPLE who “due to circumstances beyond their control” cannot exchange their $100 bills for the new $100 polymer note within the 14-day period will be given a grace period of three months.

THE Police Complaints Authority (PCA) has launched an investigation into allegations that Police Commissioner Gary Griffith assaulted Cocorite resident Cecil Skeete.

In an interview at his Port of Spain office yesterday, newly appointed PCA Director David West said the matter which was published in an Express investigative report required a “certain urgency”.

A DOUBLE murder in Port of Spain last evening has pushed the toll to 501 for the year so far. Details were not immediately available but the Express was told the incident happened just after 7 p.m.