Warrant for woman charged with stabbing sister over "TV remote"

FLASHBACK: Dion Cross leaves the San Fernando Magistrates Court back in March 2015 after she was denied bail for allegedly wounding her 10-year-old sister. A warrant was taken out for her arrest after she failed to appear in court on Friday.

A WARRANT has been issued for a woman charged with wounding her younger sister over a television remote. Senior magistrate Nannette Forde-John issued the warrant for Dion Cross after she failed to appear in court today. Cross, 24 was charged with maliciously wounding Cherise Cross with intent to do her grievous bodily harm after the then 10-year-old girl was allegedly stabbed several times over a television remote control. The child spent time at the Intensive Care Unit of the San Fernando General Hospital following the March 26 2015 alleged incident. Cross was granted $90,000 bail and was ordered to stay away from the family home at Vistabella and stay with an uncle in Siparia. The bail was subsequently reduced to $75,000 and then to $50,000. It was months later that her father stood her bail. Last week Cross failed to show up when the matter was called before senior magistrate Nannette Forde-John. Defence attorney Ainsley Lucky requested that she appear through him. This was allowed by the magistrate who adjourned the matter to this week. Cross was however absent after her name was called several times at the courthouse. Her father came forward. Lucky said his client's mother and a sister (not he alleged victim) were also present. The matter was later recalled but Cross was still a no show.

Forde-John issued the warrant. On arrest, Cross will not immediately be placed on bail. The magistrate also issued a summons for Cross's father who is also her bailor, to give a satisfactory explanation for her absence or have his property forfeited. This will be done on June 27.

Get caught up with news from the news leader
Subscribe now and get access to the Trinidad Express E-paper
SUBSCRIBE/ LOG IN

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

WITH her parents killed by criminals and their bodies decaying for four days in their Penal home, rela­tives of a four-year-old girl believe she cared for her baby brother until they were rescued. “An angel” was how the little girl’s uncle, Vijay Ragoonanan, described her for taking on the responsibility to care for her eight-month-old sibling while they were trapped in the house surrounded by the scent of death.

Wazir Mohammed, 57, was shot in the chest before his throat was slit. His wife Shelly-Ann Ragoonanan-Mohammed, 43, and his brother, Nazim Mohammed, 52, had their throats slit. The three were found dead around 3 p.m. on Thursday at their home off Clarke Road, Penal.

THE verdict is in and Police Commissioner Gary Griffith says in his first year as the country’s top cop, there has been an overall decrease in crime. He has promised that he will not fail in making Trinidad and Tobago safe again.

“WE come to tek over, man. Jamaica come to tek over.” That jovial declaration from Jamaica’s Carifesta head of delegation Michael Holgate summed up the exuberance and excitement of arriving artists and performers from around the region at Piarco International Airport on Thursday evening.