Britain Mosques Vandalized

The mosque in Erdington, Birmingham, central England, Thursday March 21, 2019, with its windows boarded up after apparently being smashed with a sledgehammer. Counter-terrorism officers in central England are investigating attacks on five mosques in which windows were apparently shattered by a sledgehammer. (Aaron Chown/PA via AP)

Counter-terrorism officers in central England are investigating attacks on five mosques in which windows were apparently shattered by a sledgehammer.

The attacks in Birmingham are being treated as linked. No motive has been established.

The incidents in Birmingham come just days after an attacker killed 50 worshippers in two mosques in New Zealand. The attack last week prompted many leaders in the U.K. to reach out to Muslims and offer support and reassurance.

British Home Secretary Sajid Javid says that the Birmingham attacks are "deeply concerning."

In a tweet, Javid stressed that "hateful behaviour has absolutely no place in our society & will never be accepted."

Birmingham City Council cabinet member Waseem Zaffar wrote on Twitter that the community "will fight back against any hate and division with love, peace and harmony."

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Fear and concern that the Prime Minister’s Covid-positive condition had contaminated the Parliament building led to the Opposition boycott of the sitting of the House of Representatives in Port of Spain yesterday.

Opposition Leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar stressed that the Opposition was not guilty of a dereliction of duty. Rather, Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley and his ministers were guilty of breaking the very Covid-19 laws they are ­insisting other citizens uphold.

The Opposition’s absence had nothing to do with health concerns—it is all about politics.

So said Government Leader Camille Robinson-Regis, as she commented on the Opposition’s decision to boycott yesterday’s sitting of Parliament.

“They are trying to make a political point that because the Prime Minister has tested positive for Covid they are at risk, but that is not so...

A 21-year-old Trinidadian woman stranded in St Vincent as a result of border closure is pleading to get off the island where the La Soufriere volcano has erupted, causing mass evacuations.

Reached yesterday on behalf of Jael James, National Security Minister Stuart Young told the Express: “I will look into this immediately and have it addressed as well as any other applications from persons in St Vincent and the Grenadines.”