A deserted south coast beach

A two-year-old child is among 12 Venezuelan nationals who were detained by police at a beach in South Trinidad on Saturday.

The group, which comprised eight men and four women, was arrested at Palo Seco Beach.

The Venezuelan nationals were apprehended with their belongings after Santa Flora police received information that they came ashore illegally.

This was confirmed by the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service (TTPS).

In a statement yesterday, the TTPS said when officers arrived on the scene, they saw two vehicles, a silver Tiida and a silver Almera, parked on the shore with people packing their luggage into them.

According to the police, both vehicles were stopped and the Venezuelans, along with the drivers, who are Trinidadians, were detained and transferred to the Siparia Health Facility for Covid-19 screening. The group afterwards was transferred to Staubles Bay, Chaguaramas, for self-quarantine, police said.


The safety of hikers remains an issue of concern for hiking groups in Trinidad and Tobago.

This after several dangerous incidents have affected hikers in recent times.

On Thursday a man and woman were attacked by an armed man at Cumaca Road in Valencia. After his escape, both victims visited the Valencia Police Station to file a report. They were then taken to the Sangre Grande Hospital for treatment.

There are good reasons for allowing the Caribbean Premier League (CPL) contingent in.

Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley yesterday defended the Government’s decision to grant exemptions for some 250 persons affiliated with the CPL T20 cricket tournament to enter Trinidad and Tobago, while leaving thousands of nationals who want to return outside.

A hawk’s eye will be on the look-out for any Venezuelan who may want to try to vote with a fake Trinidad and Tobago identification card, says United National Congress (UNC) chairman Peter Kanhai.

Kanhai and a team met with Elections and Boundaries Commission (EBC) officials yesterday.

ONE MONTH after Starlite Pharmacy chief executive Gerald Aboud posted controversial statements on Facebook over the killing of George Floyd in the United States, an international cosmetics brand has decided to pull its products from the store.