The heliport in Chaguaramas

THE High Court has blocked the State from deporting 19 Venezuelan nationals against whom deportation orders had been issued.

Even as the migrants were placed on vessels to be taken back to their home country on Saturday morning, attorneys Criston J Williams, Kerrina Samdeo and Jerome Riley petitioned the court to have the repatriations stopped.

They were being held at the State’s quarantine facility at the heliport in Chaguaramas.

The migrants do not form part of the group that was escorted out to sea by coast guard last weekend only to illegally return to Trinidad and Tobago on Tuesday afternoon.

During the a teleconference hearing, Williams, Samdeo and Riley were successful in having Justice Avason Quinlan-Williams quashthe deportation orders made against the 19 applicants.

They were ordered to be released and placed on State supervision pursuant to Section 17 of the Immigration Act Chapter 18:01.

The migrants were also granted permission by the court to file a claim for judicial review in challenge of the decision of the State to have them deported.

They will remain on State supervision pending the outcome of the judicial review proceedings and determination of their asylum applications with the Living Waters Community, the implementing partner with the UNHCR in Trinidad and Tobago.


SHOCKED and flabbergasted.

That is how North Central Regional Health Authority (NCRHA) chief executive officer Davlin Thomas felt whilst reading the Sunday Express lead story yesterday in which outpatients related their agony of having to wait long periods for health care at the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex, Mt Hope.

Most outpatients interviewed by the Express over the last few weeks expressed continued frustration over postponements of appointments.

A Santa Flora man was chased and shot dead in the middle of the roadway yesterday.

He was identified as Trevor Hospedales.

Police said 47-year-old Hospedales was sitting on the roadside with his stepson, a Venezuelan national, when a man walked up to them at around midday.

Dear children of Angelys Marelis Boada Munoz. If you ever make it to Trinidad, your mama is buried at the Freeport Public Cemetery, near where she lived, worked, and died.

It is an unmarked grave, but we know the spot. And we will take you there.

Just so you know, your mother got dignified last rites, attended by five friends, two gravediggers, the driver of the hearse, and a lawyer who paid the funeral expenses.

It took 26 days for “Angel” to get that funeral last Saturday.

Heavy rainfall has for years led to flood waters over-topping the Lothians Bridge at Inverness Road, Borde Narve, Princes Town.

However, with four major Government bodies denying claim of jurisdiction over the area, residents are left bemused. The bridge has been disowned.

Videos sent to the Express by concerned residents show a river where the road crosses, during heavy rainfall.

FRIDAY marked one year since Dr Rudradeva Sharma lost his life in a road traffic accident after he and one of his colleagues who worked at the San Fernando General Hospital were robbed and kidnapped minutes after leaving duty at midnight on January 14.

‘I’M fed up.”

These three short words sum up the emotion of patients seeking outpatient services at the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex, Mt Hope, while their appointments keep getting pushed back over and over again.

While Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh has showered praises on the parallel healthcare system established due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the primary healthcare system is suffering.