Dhanraj Juman

Missing: Dhanraj Juman 

POLICE suspect that skeletal remains found at Couva on Sunday may be those of a doubles man who went missing three years ago.

Dhanraj Juman was last seen on September 25, 2017, wearing a brown jersey and a pair of black pants with a brown belt.

Near the skeletal remains were pieces of clothing matching the description of what Juman wore and a wallet containing a Trinidad and Tobago national identification card, driving permit, and Pricesmart member card belonging to the missing man.

The remains were found around 11 a.m. at Connector Road by a man cutting grass on his agricultural property at Connector Road, Mc Bean Village.

Police officers of the Couva CID who responded first at the scene observed the remains and clothing were burnt.

The remains and items were taken to the Forensic Science Centre, St James, for forensic analysis, and pending DNA testing with tissue samples from his siblings and children.

TTPS records revealed that Juman, 37, was reported missing to the Couva police on October 4, 2017.

The report made by Juman's wife, Vernesa Juman, stated that she last saw him as he left their home at Baksh Settlement, Mc Bean Village around 2 p.m. on September 25, 2017.

In a telephone interview on Monday she told Express that he left driving their black Nissan Wingroad wagon.

"We went to a prayers (religious service) by his sister that morning. We came home after lunch, and when he went out, I assumed he went to lime with his friends", she said.

Detectives were also told that last seen at a bar at Korea Village, Carapichaima later that day.

Weeks later the vehicle was found in Central Trinidad, but there was no more information regarding his disappearance and the case file remained open.

Juman's wife said she had prayed and hoped for three years to find some word about her husband.

The couple had three children.

Vernesa Juman said police contacted her on Sunday, but she was too distraught to go to the scene.

"I couldn't bear to go inside there when the police contacted me. It took so long to find some kind of closure. It was not easy not knowing over the last three years whether he was alive or not", said the wife.

She said she would await the results of DNA tests to firmly say if the remains were her husband's.

"After praying and hoping that he would be found we finally get some closure, but I want to be 100 per cent sure before I say anything like 'yes it is him'. I know that they found things near the remains, but I am still waiting to hear something more that they are sure it is him. The police have to do DNA (testing) they will contact me", she said.

Juman's brother, Hamranath Bally Juman said he too was grateful if the family could get closure about his brother's disappearance.

"At least we may get some closure about my brother. This hurt me a lot. If there was any hope about him coming back, well there is no more. Reality is reality", he said.

Hamranath Juman said their deceased father was also a doubles vendor, and taught him and his brother the trade.

Juman, who was also known as "Adesh", sold the delicacies near the roundabout at Caroni Savannah Road.

"The last time I spoke to him was about three weeks before he went missing. I got a heavy feeling and I called him on the phone and asked him if everything was all right. He said 'we will talk'. But that was it, we never spoke after that", said the grieving brother.

He said Juman did not tell him if his life was under threat.

Responding to the scene were Cpl Ramoutar, PCs Goinda, Vialva, Joseph and Jaisrie of Couva CID and Homicide Region III.

PC Goinda is continuing investigations.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

THERE is a backlog of 7,000 ballistics cases in Trinidad and Tobago.

This climbing backlog is as a result of a shortage of ballistics examiners and lack of space which has resulted in delayed legal proceedings.

Last month, two arms of the Ministry of National Security—the National Forensic Science Centre (NFSC) and the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service (TTPS)—collaborated to launch a training programme, entitled Firearm and Toolmark Examiner Training, at the Police Training Academy in St James.

TRINIDAD and Tobago nationals stuck abroad have become so desperate to return home that some have attempted to bribe staff at the Ministry of National Security to get preferential treatment in the exemption process.

Now, National Security Minister Stuart Young is warning that this will not be tolerated and anyone attempting to bribe his/her way back to T&T will be reported to the police.

Young was speaking during the Ministry of Health’s virtual news conference yesterday, where he revealed that ministry staff have been offered bribes.

Political parties can have walkabouts with more than 25 people, but they must be separated into smaller groups.

Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh gave this advice yesterday, as he urged political parties and candidates to adhere to the public health regulations to prevent the spread of Covid-19 as they embark on their pre-election campaigning.

AS investigations continue to determine who shot Ornella Greaves in Beetham Gardens, more and more cell phone videos are being released on social media sites.

Greaves, a mother of five, who was pregnant when she was killed was shot at about 10 a.m. on June 30 when police officers and Beetham Gardens residents clashed during a violent protest.

CHIEF executive of Namalco Construction Services Naeem Ali has filed private criminal charges against three police officers alleging that they assaulted him and stole $.2 million from his vehicle during an exercise in Penal two Wednesdays ago.