Naeem Ali

ROBBED: Naeem Ali

Chief Executive Officer of Namalco Construction Services Naeem Ali appeared on Friday before a magistrate for the first time on the three charges laid against him earlier this month.

Ali was charged with driving under the influence, resisting arrest and assaulting constables Christopher Nanan, Satish Ramlal and Maxine Timothy at Suchit Trace, Penal on July 1.

It is alleged that Ali’s vehicle was stopped after he overtook a line of vehicles at high speed and that he resisted being detained and assaulted police officers as he tried to evade breathalyser tests which he subsequently failed.

He was placed on $50,000 bail at the Penal police station and the matter was placed to Friday’s date.

Ali appeared virtually before Siparia magistrate Ava Vandenberg-Bailey where he said he was not guilty of the three offences. Ali, 43 of Point Fortin, was represented by senior counsel Pamela Elder.

Police prosecutor Sheldon Salazar said that initial documents in the matter had been given to Ali.

The cross charges Ali brought against the three officers were also read by the magistrate.

The officers said they were not guilty of stealing $200,000 from him and of assaulting Ali, occasioning actual bodily harm. They told that they will be seeking to have a State attorney represent them in the matter.

Ali brought the cross charges against the officers two days after he was charged. Summonses were subsequently served on them. Ali claimed in a release that he was the victim of a “vicious and brutal assault by persons in plainclothes claiming to be police officers”. He also alleged in the release that he was “the subject of a brutal assault and other matters, which left me physically, mentally and emotionally scarred.”

Ali has also filed a report with the Professional Standards Bureau (PSB).

Vandenberg-Bailey adjourned the matters before her to April 25.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

A soldier who attempted to break up a gathering at his son’s birthday lime in Point Fortin was shot dead by a police officer ­yesterday.

Lance Corporal Keverne Miller, 42, of Lakeview, Point Fortin, was pronounced dead on arrival at the Point Fortin Area Hospital.

Miller served 16 years in the Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force, his father, Daffort Miller, 73, said.

“I thought it was garbage.”

These were the words of a 45-year-old man on Thursday night while speaking to investigators in Valencia at the scene of an accident which claimed the life of 49-year-old Elvis Marcano.

AS the world yesterday recorded a “heart-wrenching milestone” of two million Covid-19 deaths, Uni­ted Nations Secretary-General Anto­nio Guterres said the pandemic’s impact has been exaggerated by a lack of global co-ordination—as he warned against inequity in the global distribution of a vaccine.

WEDNESDAY’S ruling by Justice Frank Seepersad in favour of the Trinidad Express against the State was not just a victory for the media fraternity in this country but also across the Commonwealth and Caribbean.

In a statement from its Barbados headquarters yesterday, the Caribbean Broadcasting Union (CBU) said it welcomed the ruling by Justice Seepersad in which he declared the warrants used by police to search the media house in March last year were “plainly irregular”, unlawful and unconstitutional.

Several scholarship winners are earning an income driving taxis while others qualified in the field of law are unemployed because the State has not placed them in jobs.

This, while the Solicitor General’s department is understaffed and in need of more attorneys.

This was one of the concerns raised yesterday during a meeting of the Joint Select Committee of Finance and Legal Affairs, enquiring into the ease of doing business in Trinidad and Tobago.