WhatsApp Image 2020-10-23 at 10.58.47 AM copy.jpeg

A Biche family is calling for an investigating into the events that led to a two-month-old baby girl suffering burns to her right hand after receiving IV treatment.

Two-month-old baby Britney Maya Francis was admitted to the Sangre Grande Hospital last week, because of a high fever and she was not feeding.

Her mother, Christiana Flores, said the IV was placed into the infant's right hand and the hand was wrapped in bandages.

"My daughter had a high fever and she was not feeding so I took her to the Rio Claro Health Centre and was told that she had an infection and needed to be admitted to hospital," she said.

Last Sunday, Flores said, she observed that her daughter's hand was swollen. The infant was uncomfortable and cried throughout the night, she said.

Flores said the nurses were informed but the bandage was not removed until Wednesday morning.

"My daughter was screaming and this never happened before so I knew something was wrong. When they opened the bandage it was the most painful sight. My daughter's hand was severely burnt and I am very worried," she said.

Flores said she pleaded for an explanation and questioned whether her child's hand would heal. "All they said was that it was not unusual for the child to get IV burns," she said.

Flores, 32, said she was devastated as baby Britney was her first child. "It has been two days and I really don't know if this is going to heal. No senior doctors have spoken to me and I need some answers," she said.

Flores said she has requested a meeting with the senior paediatrician to discuss her daughter's condition. "I noticed that she is not really moving her hand so I don't know what is happening," she said.

The Express contacted the Eastern Regional Health Authority (ERHA) corporate communications manager, Lisa Daniel-Charles, on the issue. She advised that the family follow the Authority's procedure to request an investigation into the incident.

In an email response, Eastern Regional Health Authority corporate communications manager, Lisa Daniel-Charles, stated that she was unable to release any information due to patient confidentiality.

However, she stated that relatives of “the client” have brought the matter to the attention of the Authority, and "the client is receiving proper care".

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

In the words of calypsonian Denyse Plummer, East Port of Spain residents “nah leaving!”

This was what many of them said in response to Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley’s advice to seize the opportunity to move from the area, if requested, to allow for the revitalisation of Port of Spain.

The Prime Minister said on Thursday: “If you don’t move, that means you will stay in the squalor for the next 40 years. You might like that, but your children wouldn’t like it. And I will say the same thing to Sea Lots.

Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley’s announcement of a $10 million allocation to assist bar and restaurant workers who have been financially affected by Covid-19 restrictions has been described as a much-needed measure by the Bar Owners Association of Trinidad and Tobago (BOATT).