As of Thursday morning, the Health Ministry reports the following:
• Number of samples submitted to the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA) for testing for COVID-19 = 407
• Number of samples which have tested positive = 61
• Number of deaths = 1
The sixty-first case has a recent travel history.
Forty-four of these positive cases came from the group of nationals who recently returned from a cruise, (41 from the group of 68 nationals who returned together and three additional persons, who were also on the cruise, but returned to Trinidad and Tobago separately, from the other 68).
The Ministry of Health urges members of the public to stay at home if ill.
If you have a high temperature or a continuous cough, please remain indoors and contact your nearest health facility. If ill at home, practice self-isolation from other members of your family as much as possible.
Do not share common household items.
This is important to prevent the spread of COVID-19 from person to person.
The public is also urged to take the following personal hygiene measures to protect themselves and their loved ones from COVID-19:
• Wash your hands properly with soap and water
o Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if water and soap are not available
• Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze
o Dispose of tissue immediately after using
o Cough and sneeze into the crook of your elbow if you do not have a tissue
• Avoid touching your face
• Sanitize hard surfaces (e.g. table tops, handrails, doorknobs and trolleys) as often as possible.
• Avoid close contact with people who have flu-like symptoms
• Practice social distancing
o Maintain at least 2 metres (6 feet) distance between yourself and others, especially anyone who is coughing or showing signs of illness
It is also advised that all public transportation vehicles should operate with windows open and, where possible, limit their occupancy.