crime tape

A 27-year-old Point Fortin man was denied bail on Monday when he appeared before a Point Fortin magistrate, charged with breaching a protection order that had been taken out against him by his 53-year-old ex-girlfriend.

Appearing before Magistrate Alicia Chankar, the man pleaded not guilty, was denied bail, and then remanded into custody. He is expected to re-appear in court on January 10.

Police said that on December 7, around 10 a.m., the woman was about to enter her car when she saw the suspect standing near a wall three metres from the car.

He then called out her name and told her: “I want to tell you something.”

The woman left the scene and reported what happened at La Brea Police Station and, following an investigation, the man was arrested.

Police said the protection order, which expires in 2024, states he is not to have any contact with or come within 100 feet of the woman.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley cried “shame” on the UNC, as he slammed that party for having “the gall to seek to scold and castigate us (the PNM) on the issue of vulnerable children”.

Be prepared! There will be an active hurricane season this year.

This is according to the Trinidad and Tobago Meteorological Service (TTMS), which has described the 2022 wet season which began this week as volatile and erratic.

Despite the warmer start to the wet season, the TTMS has forecasted at least four named storms and two hurricanes that could affect Trinidad and Tobago in the coming months.

Robert Sabga is not going to call any names associated with a paedophile ring, but will cooperate with the police.

The former chairman of the 1997 task force into children’s homes also says Akiel Chambers’ murder could have been prevented if they were able to find evidence to bust the paedophile ring of 25 years ago.

An individual who was involved in a paedophile ring 25 years ago holds a very high office today and was also linked to the Akiel Chambers case, claims Robert Sabga, former chairman of the 1997 task force appointed to investigate children’s homes.

An excerpt from a video interview with Sabga was shown on Monday night at the United National Congress (UNC) virtual meeting.

THE Government must tell the country whether it was ordered by a London court to pay $1 billion in damages to Brazilian firm OAS Construtora over the wrongful termination of its contract to build the Solomon Hochoy Highway extension to Point Fortin.

Oropouche East MP Dr Roodal Moonilal on Monday called on the Government to come clean about Trinidad and Tobago’s debt, saying it was mounting and not declining as claimed by Finance Minister Colm Imbert.

Recommended for you