court logo

A MECHANIC, who claimed he struck a man with his car 16 years ago after being robbed, has been charged with causing his death by dangerous driving.

San Fernando Magistrate Lisa Singh-Phillip, in her role of coroner, made the ruling on Monday at the conclusion of an inquest in the matter involving Maniram Ramesh.

Ryan Rampersad was killed after a Ford Laser driven by Ramesh struck him in Gasparillo on October 24, 2004.

Rampersad sustained injuries, including to his head, and died two days later at hospital.

Ramesh claimed he had been robbed by two men who had entered his car.

In his statement to the police, he said he started his vehicle and drove in the men’s direction. Ramesh alleged the men ran in front of his car and, in fright, he struck them with his vehicle.

Anthony Smith, who was with Rampersad on that night back in 2004, was also struck by the car and was injured.

He claimed he and Rampersad saw Ramesh in his car at the side of the road, knocked on his glass and enquired if he was all right before they continued along.

During the inquest, Singh-Phillip considered the different versions of the incident given by the men.

Attorney Kevin Ratiram, who represented the interest of the estate of the deceased Rampersad, submitted that Ramesh should face the charge of manslaughter.

He said it was a revenge killing rather than one done in self-defence.

During the virtual hearing, Magistrate Singh-Phillip found a prima facie case had been made. She ordered a warrant be issued for Ramesh’s arrest and he face a magistrate on the charge of causing death by dangerous driving.

Ramesh, 38, of Tarouba, was represented by attorney Subhas Panday who, in a bail application, said his client had no matters before the court.

Ramesh was placed on $100,000 surety bail.

Ramesh was initially charged with causing death by dangerous driving, but at a court appearance in 2006, the prosecution requested that a coroner’s inquest be done.

The magistrate back then discharged the matter for the inquest to be conducted.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

ALL 250 people detained early yesterday morning at a “zesser party” in Caroni will be charged.

This is the assurance of Commissioner of Police Gary Griffith.

He told the Express he had given directives that everyone held at the event be charged under Paragraph 4(d) of the Public Heath coronavirus legislation.

While some are expected to appear before a Chaguanas magistrate today for the offence, others will face charges via summons as names and addresses of everyone who attended the event were obtained by police.

AYANNA PAUL, a 30-year-old unemployed mother of seven, wants to help her children to find a future of hope, even in poverty.

But Paul and her partner cannot afford this on only his earnings as a market vendor.

Pointe-a-Pierre MP David Lee, Chief Whip for the United National Congress (UNC), is maintaining his position that the statistics do not support the continuation of the anti-gang legislation.

Lee was speaking during a news conference at the Office of the Leader of the Opposition, at Charles Street, Port of Spain.

It’s a lie! It’s a damn lie!

This is how Vasant Bharath responded to accusations by incumbent United National Congress (UNC) political leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar that he had campaigned for the People’s National Movement in the lead-up to the August 10 general election.

Bharath, who is Persad-Bissessar’s sole competitor for leadership of the party in the UNC’s December 6 internal election, held a news conference yesterday at his campaign headquarters in San Juan, where he addressed the issue.

More than 20 Trinidadian contract workers at farms in Canada say they have been neglected by the Government.

Many left the country in early January prior to the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic to undertake farming positions contracted through the Ministry of Labour and are still awaiting exemptions to return home.