Heart attack: Jerry S George

Heart attack: Jerry S George

The Association of Caribbean Media Workers (ACM) yesterday said it was “shocked and sad” at the death of veteran social activist and broadcaster Jerry S George while hosting his early-morning Internet show, Early in the Morning with Jerry S George.

George was a founding member of the regional umbrella media organisation and the ACM said “he had remained a strong supporter of the organisation”.

George was also a founding member of the SearchLight newspaper here.

George, who was in his late 60s and a former public relations manager with Digicel, died of an apparent heart attack soon after introducing his first guest on the show yesterday, which he had dubbed “Thoughtful Tuesday”.

His guest, Jamaica-born Grenada-based journalist Beverley Sinclair, who is also chief operations officer of George’s Island Media Marketing and Communications company, had been invited to co-host the programme, as George had indicated he was going to “step out of frame”.

But after speaking for nearly half an hour with no response from George, she told viewers she had no idea “where my host is, he has abandoned me”.

“And I need him to come back at this point so we can share some of your comments, hear what you had to say and how you deal with people that you come across in your daily life—what kinds of experiences have you had...”

But a Facebook post on Valerie Tucker-George’s account, after the scheduled close of the programme, announced: “I am still in shock, came home at about 7.20 a.m. and met my husband Jerry George on the floor dead.”

George was a vocal social and political commentator on issues not only in his homeland, but throughout the Caribbean and further afield.

Among his last postings were the ongoing political situation in Guyana and the decision by some Caribbean governments to introduce competition in the aviation sector at the expense of regional airline LIAT.

His Facebook page has been flooded with condolence messages, with some people saying there were “still in shock” at the news of his death.

He is survived by his wife and two children. —CMC


A 41-year-old woman who has been detained following the killing of the chairman of Maritime General and Fidelity Finance, 74-year-old John Henry Smith, has been sent for psychiatric evaluation.

The woman, the Express was told, had been observed making “questionable utterances” and after consultation with their legal team, a decision was made by the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service (TTPS) to send the woman to the St Ann’s Hospital for evaluation.

While bars await the green light from the Government to reopen their doors, one bar owner is making an appeal for “specific and targeted” assistance to be given to the industry so they can at least pay their bills.

Under an umbrella, Steven Bisso sits for hours in the sweltering heat roadside at Digity Village in Debe, hoping to earn enough money to feed his siblings and an ailing mother.

An overturned barrel serves as a table on which the 23-year-old has displayed a pumpkin or two, harvested from the nearby family garden.

On a good day he says, he can make $50 from passing customers which he uses to purchase groceries and toiletries for his family of 12.

Thirty-one-year-old Gregory Taylor, of Production Drive, Sea Lots, drowned on Saturday night.

Police were told that Taylor was part of a group of men who had been employed to help repair a vessel that was sinking in the waters off Sea Lots.

Around 7.35 p.m., Taylor was part of the group who opted to swim back to shore, after completing one of the tasks of the day.

Local musician Anil Soogrim from the band Dil-E-Nadan has died.

Band member Rennie Ramnarine, who has also had his medical issues due to end-stage kidney failure, told the Express yesterday that Soogrim was a person he could always count on.

The two shared a 30-year friendship in music and travelling the world doing different shows.

Recommended for you