Crime

GUNMEN opened fire near midnight on a vehicle carrying three men and two teenagers at Valencia on Saturday.

One man is dead, another in critical condition, and a teenage girl and another man nursing gunshot wounds.

Police identified the deceased as Anton "Darko" Blake, 41, of Palm Road, Valencia.

Emmanuel Adams was shot at least six times and is fighting for his life at the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex.

Suresh Ramsingh, 29, an excavator operator of Peter Circular Road, Wallerfield, was shot to the right knee.

And a 17 year old girl, of Eastern Main Road, Valencia, was shot to the hand.

A police report said that the Adams was driving a white Honda Accord in which the victims and a 15 year old were occupants.

They were proceeding along Toco Road when gunfire erupted.

Ramsingh and the 15 year old boy exited the vehicle and ran off into the bushes.

They made their way to Pine Road, Toco Road, and contacted police.

Ramsingh and the boy were taken to the Sangre Grande Hospital.

PCs Samuel and West who were on patrol with officers of the Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force, as well as officers of EDTF PCs Seenath, Travejo, Henry, and Jennings proceeded to Tracter Road.

The officers found the car, and a few feet away on the roadway was the body of Blake.

Adams was at the driver's seat suffering from several gunshot wounds.

The 17 year old girl was not seen at the time.

Police said she hid in the bushes, and emerged around 5.15 a.m. suffering from a gunshot wound to the right hand.

She was taken to the Sangre Grande Hospital where she remains stable.

ASP Seecharan, Insp Ramdeen, WPC Rique, PC Benoit of Valencia CID, CSI officers PCs Portell-Jones and Alexander, and officers of Homicide Region II Sgt Job, WPC Salina, PC Ignacio also responded.

Sgt Job is continuing investigations.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

A CENTRAL FAMILY is pleading with National Security Minister Stuart Young to locate and bring back the mother of three girls — including a nursing 16-month-old baby—who was among 160 Venezuelans deported last Saturday.

The appeal has been made ahead of a scheduled court hearing in Port of Spain today.

The children of 33-year-old Kemilis Mendoza, who are now living with Trinidadian Meera Ramlakhan, are “crying non-stop”, the care-giver told the Express yesterday.

A CHILD-TRAFFICKING and illegal adoption ring involving Venezuelan children is active throughout the Caribbean, with Trinidad and Tobago being at the epicentre.

This is stated in a confidential e-mail sent on November 26 addressed to Sandra Flores, head of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), Trinidad and Tobago, by Dr Cleophas Justine Pierre, partner in the Canadian firm Dunn, Pierre, Barnett and Company Canada Ltd,

People’s National Movement (PNM) stalwart Ferdie Ferreira, 88, and his wife Pearl, 83, saw death when their car got swept away in Macqueripe last Thursday.

One of the men involved in the rescue said he believes an angel of God was present to help them, adding it was nothing short of a miracle.

TWO more people have died as a result of Covid-19.

The Ministry of Health advised yesterday that, “The persons are an elderly female and an elderly male, both with pre-existing medical conditions.”

The additional deaths brought the total local toll to 120 people.

Trinidad and Tobago also recorded 30 new cases of the Covid-19 virus, the ministry’s daily 4 p.m. update stated.

FOLLOWING last week’s controversial “extreme embalming” funeral where the seated body of Che Lewis arrived via procession, the Catholic Archdiocese last Friday reminded of the “dignity” of the body and said parishes will now have to request details ahead of services.

An article in last Friday’s Catholic News quoted parish priests Fr Roger Paponette and Fr Martin Sirju, who said the locally unprecedented ceremony was “offensive” according to the principles of community faith.