Rosemary Coutou-Figaro

Rosemary Coutou-Figaro

The COVID-19 coronavirus has claimed the lives of three more Trinidad and Tobago nationals living in New York, including a registered nurse.

At least 10 Trinidadians have died in New York in recent weeks, due to complications from the virus.

Rosemary Coutou-Figaro, who was employed at the Kings Brook Hospital in Brooklyn, died on April 9.

She had tested positive for COVID-19 three weeks before.

Relatives said Coutou-Figaro, who was originally from south Trinidad, was admitted to hospital will flu-like symptoms in mid-March. She returned home and was readmitted after her condition worsened a week later.

She developed pneumonia and a chest infection. The mother of two was 52 years old.

Frankie Emanuel Jacob, 61, was tested positive for the virus in March. He lost his battle on Wednesday.

The Express contacted Jacob's brother, Paul Jacob, who lives in Trinidad.

He said his brother migrated to the United States in 1990. He lived at Eastern Quarry, Laventille.

"He came to Trinidad in February and he was in good spirits. He was always a healthy man. This is very sad for the family," the brother said.

Jacob was employed as a bus driver in Brooklyn, New York.

Retired New York Transit Authority technicians Winford Atherley also passed away due to complications from the COVID-19 coronavirus.

Atherly, 72, migrated to Brooklyn, New York several years ago.

He was the uncle of Local Government councillor for Pleasantville, Robert Paris.

Relatives said Atherly began experiencing symptoms and was being cared for by his wife, a registered nurse.

But his condition worsened and he was taken to hospital and placed on a ventilator. He died days later.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

As the country recorded an alarming seven new Covid-19 deaths yesterday, among them was a young medical doctor.

Dr Shival Sieunarine, 33, died in the Intensive Care Unit of the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex, Mt Hope, where he had been taken for treatment after falling severely ill.

In a 30-minute virtual funeral service, friends and relatives said goodbye yesterday to the Siparia father and son who died from the Covid-19 virus hours apart last week.

Five relatives were allowed to witness the double cremation at Belgroves Funeral Home and Crematorium in San Fernando.

The Covid-19 death toll continued to increase alarmingly, with seven more deaths being recorded by the Ministry of Health yesterday.

The death toll jumped from 196 on Friday to 203 by yesterday evening.

It is the second time this number of deaths has been recorded in one day since the start of the pandemic.

The Sinopharm Covid-19 vaccine is safe and has undergone a rigorous assessment by the World Health Organisation (WHO).

This was Health Minister Terrence Deyal­singh’s response to Oro­­pouche East MP Dr Roodal Moonilal yester­day after Moonilal warned people to be cautious about being used as “guinea pigs” for the vaccine, which only has emergency-use approval.

Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh’s tears have moved Port of Spain Mayor Joel Martinez to act decisively to put an end to liming on the Brian Lara Promenade.

Effective immediately, the Promenade is entirely off-limits.

The public will not be allowed to even walk through the Promenade and should instead use the pavements.