crime

The man who allegedly attempted to abduct a 10-year-old girl outside her primary school in Point Fortin on Wednesday has been arrested.

The 23-year-old suspect was held at his Cap-de-Ville home. The Isuzu pick up van used in the alleged crime was also seized.

The arrest was made by officers of the Point Fortin municipal police station after officers viewed closed circuit television camera footage.

The man was handed over to the Point Fortin Police.

Police said at around 8a.m a Standard Three pupil of the Fanny Village Government School was walking along the Guapo, Cap-de-Ville Main Road in Point Fortin when a black van stopped. The driver attempted to pull the child into the vehicle.

A release issued by the Ministry of Rural Development and Local Government stated that an alarm was raised by a by-stander causing the man to return to his vehicle and hurriedly flee the scene.

The victim and her mother were taken to the Point Fortin Police Station where a report was made.

The release stated that officers of the Point Fortin Municipal Police Station continued investigations, reviewed camera footage and a short while later an arrest was made.

Local Government Minister Kazim Hosein commended the swift response of the Point Fortin Municipal Police and the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service (TTPS).

He said, “This is indeed good news. Well-deserved commendation to the Municipal Police and the TTPS attached to the borough of Point Fortin. This joint effort is exactly what we need in order to ensure that our citizens, particularly our children, are kept safe from predators and unwanted harm. Municipal Police officers play an integral role in the national security framework at the community level and today’s events are a testament to that fact. In executing their duties, these officers have once again highlighted the role that the Municipal Police Force plays in ensuring greater safety and security through increased foot and vehicular patrols.”

The exercise was coordinated by Senior Superintendent Santana and supervised by

WPC Superintendent Fortune and Inspector Carter.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

THE South West Regional Health Authority (SWRHA) was yesterday found liable for damages following a lawsuit for medical negligence filed after a welder died from a flesh-eating bacterium.

That was soca king Machel Montano’s brief response to ­reporters yesterday, when asked how he felt as a newly married man.

Montano, 45, and his new wife, Renee Butcher, a yoga instructor, have gone down in history as the first couple to be married at the Red House since its restoration and ­reopening last month.

An alleged shoot-out with police on Thursday night in San Rafael has left one man dead.

The dead man had not been identified by his real name up to last night.

PRIME Minister Dr Keith Rowley left for Barbados yesterday to attend the 31st Inter-sessional Meeting of the Conference of Heads of Government of the Caribbean Community (Caricom).

TEN Kings and ten queens will compete in the finals of the King and Queen of Carnival, following Thursday night’s preliminary competition at the Queen’s Park Savannah in Port of Spain.