Question: I am a US citizen and I would like to travel to the US with my child who was born in T&T. Should I apply for a visa for my child or are they eligible for a US passport?

Answer: By law, US citizens, inclu­ding dual nation­als, must use a US passport to enter and leave the United States. A child born abroad may be eligible for US citizenship and a US passport if at least one parent is a US citizen. Before submitting an application for a visa, the child’s parents should review the requirements for transmission of citizenship on or contact the US Embassy’s American Citizen Servi­ces section at

To transmit US citizenship:

• At least one parent must have US citizenship at the time of the child’s birth, and there must be a blood relationship between the child and US citizen parent(s).


Mindful of the predilection of the world’s most powerful countries to exercise their will over weak ones, this newspaper is a stickler for a rules-based, multilateral system that respects the national sovereignty, constitutional order, and the principle of non-interference in the internal affairs of states.

THE murder figure for 2019 has now passed another statistical threshold with last evening’s killing of two men having carried the number to 501.

Why did so few people vote in last week’s local government election? It was a pretty dismissive showing, and it would be enlightening to have a breakdown of who voted. I am curious about whether it is true that young people did not bother, as the political leader of the Movement for Social Justice, David Abdulah, was quoted in the Newsday as saying.

The bell has rung for the seven political parties that fought the local government election on Monday, resulting in a 7-7 deadlock between the two main political parties, the People’s National Movement (PNM) and the United National Congress (UNC), with both parties claiming victory.

I could hardly believe my ears when I heard AG Faris Al-Rawi say that flat-screen TVs were being sneaked into jail cells. More incredible was his plan for dealing with the problem — legislation.