Jonny Bairstow

35 NOT OUT: Jonny Bairstow

England won the first Test against Sri Lanka by seven wickets at Galle International Stadium yesterday as Jonny Bairstow and debutant Dan Lawrence knocked off the 36 runs required on the last day.

Bairstow was 35 not out and Lawrence unbeaten on 21 in a 62-run partnership as England reached 76 for three in their second innings to take a 1-0 lead in the two-Test series.

They had been set a target of 74 after bowling Sri Lanka out for 359 but lost three wickets and were reeling at 14 for three before Bairstow and Lawrence took them to 38 for three when bad light stopped play on Sunday.

“It was a tricky wicket to bat on and you had to play as much off your back foot,” said Bairstow after England had been subjected to a torrent of sharp spin from Laisth Embuldeniya, Dilruwan Perera and Wanindu Hasaranga.

“It’s absolutely fabulous, winning Tests is always what you want to do. It’s difficult playing in the subcontinent, you know the challenges but to get a win on board is pleasing for all the boys.”

Sri Lanka could have claimed the wicket of Lawrence in the third over of the morning but failed to review after Perera rapped him on the pads. Hawk-eye replays showed it would have hit the wicket.

It took 9.2 overs for England to complete the victory and they will now be looking for a sixth successive Test win in Sri Lanka in the second Test, which is also being played at Galle and starts on Friday.

England had set themselves up for the win on the opening day when Sri Lanka turned in a woeful batting performance and were bowled out for 135.

England captain Joe Root then hit 228 as England scored 421 for a significant first innings lead.

Sri Lanka’s batsmen applied themselves much better in their second innings and overhauled the deficit but five wickets for Jack Leach meant they were unable to set a more competitive target for England.

“We were outplayed in the first innings by both bat and bowl and that is what cost us the game,” said Sri Lanka skipper Dinesh Chandimal.


The last time the Trinidad and Tobago Red Force faced the Jamaica Scorpions in the semi-finals of the regional Super50 Cup, it was a record-breaking encounter and the Red Force came out on the losing end.

Today, a rematch of the 2016/17 semi will take place at the same venue, Coolidge Cricket Ground in Antigua, and the Red Force will be hoping to create their piece of history.

While the “Wehby Report” on governance reform of Cricket West Indies has been shared with CWI stakeholders, it is still being reviewed by a special working group and consultations with territorial boards are ongoing.

This was revealed by CWI president Ricky Skerritt on Monday when asked for an update on the status of the report and what CWI was doing with its recommendations.

CURTIS HUMPHREYS returned to his best as WASA Club got back on track when the second round of the inaugural Table Tennis Champions League served off Monday night at Calvary Community Centre, Arima.

“This is too much.”

“I’m going to watch PSL.”

Trying to log in to catch Cricket West Indies’ radio coverage of the Super50 match between the Guyana Jaguars and Windward Islands Volcanoes on Monday, my eyes caught sight of those two comments in a chat on the Youtube page.

I took it they were in reference to the match in progress. At the time, the Volcanoes batting first were already four wickets down for less than 50 runs.

The easing of restrictions for recreational outdoor activities has given the local cricketin…