Brent Sancho

REMAINS IN FAVOUR OF MERGING THE LEAGUES: TTFA board member and Central FC owner, Brent Sancho.

DEPENDENT on Government’s release of Covid-19 lockdown restrictions, local football should resume in August when both the TT Pro League and the Trinidad and Tobago Super League plan to independently launch their 2020 competitions.

Both Pro League acting-chairman Brent Sancho and Super League president Keith Look Loy announced a planned August start of their competitions. However, neither could say whether the long-touted integrated league between the two top divisions of local football will become a reality this season.

“We’re already having a conversation at the board level and with the clubs, and we are hoping that we could start by the middle of August,” said Look Loy, head of the tier two semi-professional Super League.

President of former champions FC Santa Rosa, Look Loy anticipates such time would give clubs five to six weeks’ pre-season training before football actually begins.

“If they open up the country by the 22nd and team sport becomes possible and all of that, which is basically the end of June, then we hoping to start by the middle of August,” Look Loy said.

Sancho said the tier one TT Pro League was also anticipating competition kicking off in August subject, he said, to “all protocols observed as it relates to the Covid-19 restrictions.”

The Central FC owner explained: “Although the end of August is the start date, we are just going on the mere fact that the end of June is when we are allowed to go back out in groups and play.

“We are just like any other national in the country, where we have to play it by ear when it comes to the situation (Covid-19). The clubs are well aware and well mindful of the dates we would have set,” Sancho said.

Look Loy said he did not know if there were still plans for an integrated league between the two tiers, as once discussed.

“We don’t know the answer to that. So we are preparing to run our competitions by ourselves. We don’t know where that proposal is and we can’t sit down and wait,” he said.

“Last year we sat and we waited for the new league, the T-League or whatever you want to call it, and it didn’t come off. It was a good thing we also had our own plans so we were able to start up our operation quickly and play a one-round league.”

Meanwhile, former Sport Minister Sancho is still optimistic of a merger between the two, if only in the future.

“I don’t think it should be off. I stand by what the Board of the TT Pro League says — that a national approach is the best-fit for football in this country. We all now have to, of course, come together for the best of the sport in the country.”

Sancho added: “I think that if that is the evolution of where we are going, the national approach, that will have to be a collective conversation.

“We are sounding the clarion horn and looking for all stakeholders to come together, putting all political affiliations aside, and work for the best interest in Trinidad and Tobago.”

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

KEVIN MOLINO is back in training and has made himself available for Trinidad and Tobago’s CONCACAF Gold Cup football qualifier against Montserrat in the United States on July 2.

Should T&T beat Montserrat, they will face the winners of a similar elimination match between Cuba and French Guiana for a spot in the group stage and an opening preliminary round match against regional giants Mexico.

With the pitch not expected to change drastically from the first Test, the West Indies have made a few adjustments both in their approach and personnel, which skipper Kraigg Brathwaite hopes will change their fortunes in the second match against South Africa bowling off today at the Darren Sammy Cricket Ground in St Lucia.

Fans in the region will return to cricket for the first time since the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic, when 400 fully vaccinated spectators are allowed for each day of the second Test against South Africa starting at the Daren Sammy National Stadium today.

The move is part of a pilot project initiated by the St Lucia government, in collaboration with Cricket West Indies and the St Lucia Cricket Association, and marks a major milestone for the sport which has been played behind closed doors over the last year-and-a-half, in keeping with the bio-secure bubbles created for each series.

Fans attending, however, must be over 18 years-old and must have received the second dose of the Covid-19 vaccine on or before June 4. While admission will be free, persons will need to present valid proof of vaccination along with photo identification before receiving their ticket for entry.

The extension of curfew hours this weekend has forced the National Association of Athletics Administrations of Trinidad and Tobago (NAATT) to push back the first of two Olympic Games trial meets by one day.

Originally scheduled for Sunday at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port of Spain, the meet will now be staged on Monday at the same venue.

FIVE Terminix La Horquetta Rangers footballers have been made available to Trinidad and Tobago’s senior men’s national team.

Rangers boss Richard Ferguson yesterday confirmed such via a text message stating: “Players identified in the letter are allowed to attend training,” following a request from national team manager Adrian Romain to have the players available for the national team which participates in 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup qualifiers from July 2.