Chris Gayle

HARD-HITTING OPENER: Windies opener Chris Gayle

Chris Gayle, arguably the most successful batsman in T20 cricket, will not face disciplinary action for his recent outburst on social media in which he severely criticised the management of Jamaica Tallawahs and its assistant coach, Ramnaresh Sarwan, for his sacking.

A statement from the Caribbean Premier League (CPL) yesterday said the power-hitting, left-handed Jamaica and West Indies opener, by way of an apology, had “given the assurance” of acting in good faith and that as a result, no action would be taken. Issued by the CPL Tournament committee chairman and former Jamaica prime minister P.J. Patterson, the statement confirmed that the CPL had made a formal complaint to the committee, alleging breaches of tournament rules and regulations in Gayle’s YouTube postings on April 27.

It said an independent three-member Tribunal had been authorised to hear the matter but “intense efforts were made to settle the charges for the benefit of CWI, CPL and Mr. Gayle” and following his written apology and assurances, it was therefore “no longer necessary to empanel a Tribunal”.

“The CTC, the CPL and CWI therefore consider the matter closed,” the statement concluded.

Chris Gayle’s statement

“Recently, I posted three videos on my personal YouTube channel, where I addressed the reasons for my departure from the Jamaica Tallawahs franchise ahead of the 2020 CPL tournament.

“I made these videos with one single intention—to explain to the fans in Jamaica the reasons behind what has now become my second departure from the Tallawahs franchise. It was my greatest wish to finish my CPL career in Jamaica—playing in front of my home crowd at Sabina Park with the franchise that I had previously led to two CPL titles.

“In so far as my resentment at the treatment, I stand by my comments in those videos. My words were spoken from the heart.

“Having said that, I must be honest and say that I now realise how portions of my comments may be viewed as being damaging to Cricket West Indies, and to the CPL Tournament and its brand—a tournament which I have sincerely enjoyed not just being a part of, but also helping to build and promote. It was never my intention to damage the T20 Tournament, as playing in the CPL has guaranteed an opportunity for the past seven years to play in front of the great fans of the Caribbean. This is a privilege which I genuinely appreciate and have never taken for granted.

“Right now, my eyes are fixed firmly on the season ahead, and the new challenge which playing for the St. Lucia Zouks franchise will bring. I hope to see you there.”

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

THERE will be no compromise between William Wallace and his sidelined executives of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) and the FIFA-imposed normalisation committee.

The pain associated with lactic acid build up in the muscles is all too familiar to track and field athletes. Yet, they endure the severe discomfort day-in, day out. Trinidad and Tobago sprint star Kelly-Ann Baptiste has been dealing with the lactic for close to two decades.

Former West Indies pacer Michael Holding says he can’t blame the trio of players - Darren Bravo, Shimron Hetmyer and Keemo Paul - who opted out of the impending England tour, given the conditions globally surrounding Covid-19. But the SKY cricket commentator deemed it a missed chance for the batsmen, especially, to develop their craft.

While the abrupt end to the domestic cricket season in the Caribbean and the shortening of next year’s Cricket West Indies four-day championship will provide fewer opportunities for players to showcase their skills in competition, Trinidad and Tobago Red Force chairman of selectors Tony Gray doesn’t believe the cuts will significantly affect the overall development of talent in the West Indies.

United States-based ESPN Television analyst and former Trinidad and Tobago goalkeeper Neil S…