Darren Bravo

LEADING BY EXAMPLE: T&T Red Force skipper cuts through the point region during his top-score knock of 133 -- his 12th first-class century -- against the Leeward Islands Hurricanes in their West Indies Championship Four-Day match at the Brian Lara Cricket Academy, in Tarouba, yesterday. --Photo: ROGER SEEPERSAD

Trinidad and Tobago Red Force skipper Darren Bravo scored his 12th first-class century yesterday to put his team in total control against the Leeward Islands Hurricanes after the second day, of their second round West Indies Championship four-day fixture at the Brian Lara Cricket Academy, in Tarouba.

Bravo, who started the day on 36, went on to top-score for the hosts with 133. Meanwhile, Jason Mohammed contributed 66 as the home team took the lead in the second session before Yannic Cariah and Joshua Da Silva stretched the advantage to 151 in the final period, the Red Force closing the day on 337 for four.

Da Silva was 50 not out when stumps were drawn while Cariah was unbeaten on 27. Both men scored unbeaten centuries in the opening match of the season against the Jamaica Scorpions last week and will be looking to replicate that performance when the match continues today.

However, yesterday, was the Darren Bravo show with the left-hander making amends after falling for 66 in the previous game.

Following the early dismissal of overnight batsman Keagan Simmons for 36, Bravo steadied the innings and raised his half-century as he and Mohammed took the score from 78-2, to 175-2 at the lunch break.

Upon the resumption, the Red Force skipper struck leg-spinner Damion Jacobs for a six in the stands at wide long on to move on to 94 and in he soon reached triple figures, in the spinner’s next over, with a similar shot for the maximum.

Bravo faced 172 balls for his ton, smashing three sixes and 12 fours. However, the 30-year-old remained focused, simply acknowledging the cheers from his teammates and the small crowd by raising his bat before getting back to business.

At the other end, Mohammed, playing in his first game of the season after missing last week’s season opener due to injury, reached his half-century shortly after, having faced 90 balls and hitting six fours.

Mohammed played a couple more shots before tea, driving Jacobs through the covers and chipping down the track to off-spinner Jacques Taylor and hitting him to the long-off boundary. He tried to hit Taylor through the covers again but this time mistimed his shot and sent an easy catch to Jacobs at short cover, departing for 66 and ending a 160-run stand with Bravo.

First match centurion Da Silva then joined Bravo to take the hosts to an early tea at 272-4 following a short rain delay. After the restart, Bravo was lbw to Berridge, leaving Da Silva and Cariah to see out the rest of the day’s play.

The pair got into their groove straight away with Cariah hitting Taylor for four to get off the mark. The left-hander also struck fours to long on and though the covers and one to mid-wicket off Taylor to take the hosts past 300. The right-handed Da Silva also played some attractive strokes, hitting Taylor down the ground for four and driving Sheeno Berridge through the covers for another boundary before rain delayed play for an hour in the final session.

When the players returned to the middle, Da Silva went on to bring up his half-century off 87 balls before they left the field again, this time for a wet run-up on the Northern End of the ground. The umpires had a long deliberation in the middle with the Hurricanes players before giving the cricketers the green light to come off the field for the final time.

The umpires scheduled an inspection for 5.45 p.m. but conditions didn’t improve enough to allow for a restart. Only 67.3 overs were possible yesterday. The match will resume at 9.30 a.m. today.


Skipper Stafanie Taylor admitted there was some worry in the West Indies camp when her side lost three early wickets in pursuit of a modest 79 against Thailand, in their opening Group B match of the Women’s Twenty20 World Cup on Saturday.