Even with Trinidad and Tobago currently suspended by the world governing body because of High Court action undertaken by his United TTFA group, William Wallace has no regrets over the action they have taken since FIFA appointed a normalisation committee to look after local football in March.
Justice Carol Gobin is due to give a final judgement on October 9, as to whether elected president Wallace or the FIFA-appointed committee headed by businessman Robert Hadad has the legitimate right to conduct the affairs of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association. But since FIFA announced T&T’s suspension from football last Thursday, the United TTFA group has come under added criticism for its court action. One of its members, Susan Joseph-Warrick has since resigned as one of Wallace’s vice-presidents in the TTFA.
However, Wallace is not sorry for the stance he and his group has taken.
“I can’t say that I regret anything because the reason for taking the action has not changed. I can’t regret anything,” he told the Express on Monday.
Wallace described the takeover by the normalisation committee as “an act of total injustice, disrespect.”
And referring to his failed attempt to withdraw the case against FIFA at the behest of the majority of T&T delegates last week, he added: “My concern would have been that Trinidad and Tobago football would not be suspended and I think FIFA has acted in bad faith when they knew the matter (to withdraw the case) would have been removed from the court. Even while the matter was before the court they acted to ban Trinidad and Tobago. Again we say they acted in bad faith. There is a process for something to be removed from the court. What was the haste in making that decision (to suspend)?”
Yesterday, on TV6’s Morning Edition programme, Wallace also again responded to accusations that he and his group were on an ego trip at the expense of the local game.
“I always respect other people’s views...and I want that people respect our views,” he said, adding further that, “there are persons who are also saying that this might be best time in Trinidad and Tobago’s football in terms of resetting, in terms of starting over because we are at an extremely low ebb at this point in time.
“The persons who are making the most noise are the persons we are hearing, but there are many other sober-minded persons who are saying that this might very well be the best thing for Trinidad and Tobago football at this point in time.”
And Wallace also stated again that the seven-month old saga will have a final conclusion next month.
“One of the things we did immediately when we were suspended was to appeal the suspension at CAS (Court of Arbitration for Sport) and that suspension is still pending. I think we have received a date. We also applied for injunctive relief. I think one of those matters would come up on the fourth of October, so we would know CAS’s decision on that, and the matter in Trinidad is on the ninth, so the dates are lining up properly here, so that by the ninth we should have a clear picture as to what happens next.”
Wallace also explained what United TTFA would do once Justice Gobin rules.
“If we are unsuccessful of course, we walk away and I think we walking away with our heads held high. If not (and United TTFA is successful), then the membership would decide what happens from thereon in.”
Wallace said should United TTFA gain a successful outcome at the High Court, he would go back to the TTFA membership to decide the next step for the Association ”within ten to 12 days.”