Signal Hill’s Deleasia Nicholson

CHANCE FOR A BREAK: Signal Hill’s Deleasia Nicholson, left, looks to gain control of the ball and advance even as Pleasantville’s Zamara Mitchell gives chase during yesterday’s Coca Cola Girls InterCol final at Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva. Pleasantville won 3-1 to repeat as champions.

Two free kick strikes and a late, late Alexia Ali item saw Pleasantville Secondary retain their Coca-Cola National InterCol Girls title yesterday at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva.

In a competitive final against national Big Five champions Signal Hill Secondary, the goals by Ali, Tsai-Anne Fernandez and Chrissy Mitchell gave “P/Ville” a 3-1 win that avenged their 1-0 loss to Signal Hill in the Big Five finale.

“Just elated to have the team cop another InterCol title...Getting revenge is a dish best served cold,” Brian London, one of the team coaches said after the match.

In particular, he was pleased with the manner of the first two goals.

“The work that we put in this week, we put in a lot of free kick works and...we scored two free kicks in the game, so the work that we put in actually bore fruit for us today,” he added.

That spot kick work paid off very early yesterday.

Pleasantville took the lead just three minutes into the game when Fernandez drove her left-side free-kick between the Signal Hill wall and the near post.

But while the southerners enjoyed greater possession for the rest of the half and entertained the small audience with some pretty footwork and interplay between key striker Ali and Latifa Pascall, they did not create too many more clear goal-scoring chances.

Kayla Mallaro though, had the chance to make it 2-0 in the 26th minute when found unmarked on the right side of the penalty area. However, on-rushing Signal Hill custodian Aaliyah Alexander did enough to force Mallaro to put the ball on the wrong side of the right upright.

And on the stroke of half time, Signal Hill capitalised on Pleasantville being temporarily down to nine players, the wide open Tish Crichlow running onto a defence-splitting pass, taking her time and putting the ball to the left of goalkeeper Aklya Walcott.

In the second half, Pleasantville stamped their authority on the game to a greater degree and took the lead again when Mitchell’s floated effort from the left side found the far top corner. There would be no comeback for Signal Hill this time, and with the match ticking over to added-on time, the prolific Ali ended a move that began with a cross from the left, and from the right side of the box, she beat Alexander with a clinical shot to the far corner.

It was an emphatic end to the match.

Pleasantville had made their point.


Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board (TTCB) president Azim Bassarath is welcoming the High Cour…

Having gained corporate backers for the Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board’s Under-23 Inter Z…