Uthman Mohammed


Accurate, incisive seam bowling from Terrance Hinds, Uthman Muhammad and Daniel St Clair gave the Trinidad and Tobago Red Force the upper hand against the Barbados Pride at stumps on the first day of their fifth round West Indies Championship four-day match at Kensington Oval yesterday.

Both Hinds (three for 51) and Muhammad (three for 47) picked up three wickets each while St Clair (two for 39) grabbed two crucial scalps as the Pride were dismissed for 209 after being sent in to bat following a 30-minute delay due to rain.

The hosts could have been dismissed for much less after being reduced to 46 for six just after lunch, but a lower-order rally led by Kevin Stoute who made a steady 52 and 48 from Ashley Nurse kept the Red Force in the field until the final session.

Stoute and Kemar Roach (38) shared an 87-run stand for the seventh wicket to get the score past 150, while Nurse and Keon Harding put on 44 to take the hosts past 200 before the innings finally came to a close.

The Red Force eventually prised out the remaining Pride wickets early in the final session to end a dominant display with the ball.

The visitors were also solid with the bat, replying with 52 for one at stumps, with opener Jeremy Solozano unbeaten on 35 and skipper Yannick Ottley, who scored his maiden first-class century in the previous match, on two not out.

Earlier, Hinds, who made his first-class debut this season, got the ball rolling for the Red Force, exploiting the grassy surface to remove opener Sheyne Moseley who gave a catch to Joshua Da Silva at second slip for 23.

Shamarh Brooks was next in but he didn’t last long, driving at a Muhammad delivery and getting an edge that flew to Ottley at gully with the score on 30.

Four balls later, the new batsman Justin Greaves was back in the dugout without scoring, bowled by the right-arm pacer Muhammad as the Red Force took control of the innings.

Left-arm pacer Daniel St Clair then got in on the act, trapping Kraigg Brathwaite lbw on the stroke of lunch, the West Indies batsman flummoxed by a delivery to which he offered no stroke.

After the break, Kyle Mayers was bowled by Hinds with one that sneaked past the batsman’s defence.

St Clair also defeated Shane Dowrich in similar fashion before Stoute and Roach came together to frustrate the Red Force for the rest of the post lunch session.

Roach struck three sixes and two fours before he was finally dismissed before the tea break, caught by keeper Ramdin off Muhammad for 38.

Stoute went on to reach his half-century before he was well caught down the leg-side by Ramdin while playing a slog sweep against left-arm spinner Akeal Hosein. Stoute faced 85 balls for his 52, hitting nine fours.

Ashley Nurse continued the Bajan fightback with 48 off 47 balls with seven fours, taking the hosts past 200 with a 44-run stand for the ninth wicket with Keon Harding.

But the innings wrapped up quickly after that, with Nurse edging behind off Hinds and Chemar Holder being caught by Yannic Cariah to give Hosein his second wicket of the innings.

The Red Force opening pair of Da Silva and Solozano then started solidly, putting on 36 before Da Silva was on the wrong end of an lbw decision to Holder for 13. However, T&T did not collapse like their hosts had done and managed to get to the close without further damage, still trailing by 157 runs.

The match continues today with a 9.30am start.


Will Trinidad and Tobago be suspended from world football today? United TTFA spokesman Keith Look Loy has his doubts, and so does a local football constitution expert.

The Sports Company of Trinidad and Tobago Limited (SporTT), this week handed over the long-awaited Aranjuez Savannah pavilion. Residents of the area now have access to enhanced facilities.

UNITED TTFA has been lumped with previous administrations for its work in the four months it was in charge of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association.

David John-Williams has threatened to sue Guardian Media Limited and its reporter Mark Bassant.

The former Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) president yesterday issued a press release in which he threatened legal action and also promised to clear himself of allegations made in a CNC3 documentary. The W Connection Football Club owner defended himself and stated that accusations made in Bassant’s report were false.

“When I eventually came off the plane and felt that hot sun on my skin, I said ‘Yes! Ah home’.”

Che Richards finally touched down at Piarco International Airport on Sunday, a couple months after graduating from the University of Edinburgh, in Scotland, with an LLB Hons degree.