Tion Webster

IN FULL FLOW: T&T Red Force’s Tion Webster on the go against the Guyana Jaguars in a Super50 Cup tournament match at the Queen’s Park Oval, Port Of Spain, on Saturday night. —Photo:


After two easy wins the Colonial Medical Insurance Super50 Cup, Trinidad and Tobago Red Force skipper Imran Khan insists that he won’t let his players become complacent ahead of their next fixture on Wednesday.

The Red Force, led by Tion Webster’s top-score of 87, breezed past Guyana Jaguars by six wickets in their second match in Group B at Queen’s Park Oval in St Clair, late Saturday night. But with six more group stage games to play, Khan is urging his players to maintain their focus.

Group B continues today with Jaguars taking on the USA at the QPO while the West Indies Emerging Players come up against the Windward Islands Volcanoes, at the Brian Lara Cricket Academy, in Tarouba. The Red Force are on a bye today.

After Saturday’s win, Khan said: “It was another great performance and I am really happy with the victory but we have to take things one game at a time, keep things simple and don’t take any team for granted.”

They certainly did not underestimate the Jaguars with their spin bowlers coming to the fore once again to stifle the Guyanese batsman as the visitors posted 187 for nine off their reduced 43 overs. Tion Webster then powered the hosts to an easy win, scoring his highest regional 50 over score of 87 in a record partnership of 124 with fellow opening batsman Jeremy Solozano, who made 39.

The opening stand is the highest partnership for the Red Force for any wicket against the Jaguars. Webster blasted three sixes and 11 fours and faced 60 balls but most of his runs came in PowerPlay overs and proved crucial in the end. Solozano faced 55 balls and struck four boundaries.

By the time Webster departed, caught by Christopher Barnwell off Ramaal Lewis in the 19th over, the hosts were well on their way to victory. However, the Red Force innings slowed after the right-hander’s departure with the remaining 64 runs required to complete the victory coming some 17 overs later, when Darren Bravo scored the winning runs with seven overs remaining.

Solozano departed two overs after Webster walked back to the dugout while Hope laboured to score four (17 balls) before he, too, was sentto the showers. Bravo and Jason Mohammed then took their time to seal the win. Bravo faced 49 balls for his unbeaten 26 while Mohammed faced 36 deliveries for his 28.

Earlier, the match started under overcast skies and only five overs were possible before the players were forced off the field by lightening and rain. T&T struck just before going off, Anderson Phillip getting the wicket of Tagenarine Chanderpaul for seven. There was a near two-hour break, however, the Red Force stuck to the plan with spinners again doing the job of restricting runs, before Phillip came back near the end to finish with four wickets for 44 runs.

He could have gotten a five-wicket haul but again the hosts were guilty of not taking all the chances that came their way. In the end, they were not punished for their lapses but Webster said they would have to do better in the remaining matches.

Speaking to the media following the match, Webster said: “I am feeling very good about my knock. I backed myself and the team gave me the confidence to go out there and do what I did, so I am very happy. The way I started in the first game, I was vexed that I missed out in that game and then seeing the way my teammates batted, I knew I could have done the same thing.”

Asked if he felt he had a point to prove after only playing three matches in the Caribbean Premier League, Webster said: “No, no, no...I just went out there and did what I did for the team. My role was to give the team the best possible start in the PowerPlay, so after the first ten overs I slowed down a bit, and started to try to rotate the strike with Jeremy and that was just the game-plan.”

“We must give credit to the bowlers because they stuck to the plan even with a wet ball after heavy rain early in the game. They executed well,” he added.

Looking back at the match, Webster said that they could have done better in the field. “I think we did not have a perfect game. We had some mishaps but we will work on it in training and come back stronger in the next game.”

On missing out on scoring his maiden 50-over century, Webster wasn’t too upset. “I was disappointed because I wanted the hundred but I think I put the team in a good position to win the game, so I was still happy with my score,” he reasoned.

The Red Force will face the Emerging Players on Wednesday at the Oval and will tackle USA on Friday at Tarouba.


Even with Trinidad and Tobago currently suspended by the world governing body because of High Court action undertaken by his United TTFA group, William Wallace has no regrets over the action they have taken since FIFA appointed a normalisation committee to look after local football in March.

Despite the state of the series, West Indies coach Andre Coley feels improved results are in touching distance. However, he says greater fitness and more skilful batting are needed if West Indies are to start winning again in international cricket.

SAMANTHA WALLACE put in a sizzling performance which put her on the team of the week as defending champions NSW Swifts prepared for Sunday’s Suncorp Super League netball semi-final against high-scoring West Coast Fever.

THE faster FIFA’s suspension of Trinidad and Tobago football is lifted, the better it is for Terry Fenwick, T&T’s senior men’s coach.

“I have got to remain optimistic for my players,” stated Fenwick, who says he has been in constant contact with several national team regulars and prospects.

Did you see Superman on Sunday? No, not Clark Kent, Nicholas Pooran!

The cartoon/movie character sprang to mind as I watched replays of Pooran’s breathtaking piece of fielding for King’s XI Punjab in their Indian Premier League match against Rajasthan Royals. For those of you who didn’t see it, Pooran dived upwards and back, a foot or two over the boundary rope to first catch, then throw the ball back into play for a teammate to pick up. He turned five into about one.

For a 16-day period in 2015, everything fell into place for Trinidad and Tobago sprint hurdl…