Misbah to retire after West Indies series

Ready to go: Pakistan Test captain Misbah Ul-Haq

Misbah-ul-Haq will stand down as Pakistan chief selector on December 1 in order to focus on his position as head coach of the men’s national side.

The former Pakistan captain, whose international career comprised 75 Tests, 162 ODIs and 39 T20s, was appointed to the dual role of chief selector and head coach in September last year. He will confirm the squads for the limited-overs home series against Zimbabwe which starts later this month as well as for the Test and T20 tour of New Zealand later in the year.

“After reviewing the past 12 months and looking ahead at the workload in the next 24 months of my tenure, it is appropriate that I invest and dedicate all my time, energy and attention to one role from now on,” Misbah said. “Coaching is my passion and my ultimate objective remains to contribute to the development of players and help the side achieve bigger successes.

“When I was appointed last year, I was offered the coaching role first and then given the option to also head the selection committee, which I had graciously accepted. I am grateful to the Pakistan Cricket Board for their understanding and for supporting my thought process.”

The new chief selector will be in charge of naming the squads for the January home series against South Africa. “The PCB wholeheartedly respects Misbah’s decision on stepping away from the chief selector role,” PCB chief executive Wasim Khan said. “When he took on the national head coach role, we also required him to take on the chief selector’s role due to circumstances at that point in time.

“Pakistan has three global events, including two Asia Cups and the ICC T20 World Cup 2021, as well as 10 Future Tour Programme commitments over the next two years. As head coach of the national side, he has reassessed his priorities and believes he has a better chance of producing the desired results by focusing solely on the coaching side. We are very happy to support his thinking on this.”

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

WEST INDIES middle-order batsman Darren Bravo said spending time in the middle will be central to him earning big runs for the upcoming two-Test series against New Zealand.

The Windies number three featured in a third-wicket stand of 122 with Shamarh Brooks in their warm-up match on tour, against a New Zealand ‘A’ team at Queenstown over the weekend, scoring a majestic 135 (from 214 balls) which included 13 fours and five sixes. The match ended in a predictable draw.

TEAM TTO standout swimmer Dylan Carter finished fourth in the men’s 100m backstroke on the final day of the International Swimming League (ISL) 2020, as his Los Angeles Current (LAC) squad finished fourth (298 pts).

West Indies got an early sight of the depth of the batting that New Zealand may be able to call upon during their two-Test series next month, before they drew their warm-up match against the Black Caps’ reserves yesterday.

SEVEN suspended Trinidad and Tobago Super League (TTSL) football clubs have written the league’s general secretary, Peter Thomas, seeking reinstation in time to vote at the TTSL proposed AGM.

Super League vice-president, Jameson Rigues, and UTT representative, Clayton Morris, are both vying to assume the position of president, following the October 17, resignation of Keith Look Loy.

Injured West Indies Women’s captain Stafanie Taylor was a non-starter and fellow Windies Women’s all-rounder Hayley Matthews made a minor contribution in the final round of preliminary matches in the Women’s Big Bash League yesterday.

Darren Bravo gave evidence that he could unlock the potential of the West Indies batting in …