Bangladesh cricket team was arriving for prayers when the shooting occurred but all members were safe. Photo: Twitter

Bangladesh's tour of New Zealand has been called off following a terrorist attack on two Christchurch mosques, in which 49 people have been killed. The team is safe, in lockdown at their hotel; it was en route to one of the mosques for Friday prayers at the time of the attack but escaped to the nearby Hagley Oval.

New Zealand police commissioner Mike Bush said police had made four arrests in connection with the attack, which included multiple improvised explosive devices attached to vehicles.

Prime minister Jacinda Ardern called it a terrorist attack. "There is no place in New Zealand for such acts of extreme and unprecedented violence, which it is clear this act was," Arden said. "This is and will be one of New Zealand's darkest days. I would describe it as an unprecedented act of violence, an act that has absolutely no place in New Zealand. This is not who we are."

The attack took place around 1-30 pm local time. The team was on its way to the Al Noor Mosque, less than a mile from the Hagley Oval, when the players saw signs of the unfolding carnage. They initially stayed on the bus and made phone calls, including one to this reporter, who was at the ground. Several journalists then came over to where the bus was and accompanied the players to the ground.

Much of the coaching staff were back in the team hotel while the head coach Steve Rhodes was at the ground. Later, the team went back to their hotel.

Team manager Khaled Mashud said the players had had a lucky escape. "We must have been about 50 yards from the mosque. I would say we were really lucky. Had we reached even three or four minutes earlier, we probably would have been inside the mosque. This could then have been a massive incident."

Get caught up with news from the news leader
Subscribe now and get access to the Trinidad Express E-paper

He said arrangements were being made to fly the team back to Bangladesh as soon as possible.

Within a couple of hours the two boards had decided on the fate of the tour. "We are shocked and appalled as I am sure all New Zealanders are," NZC CEO David White said. "We are offering support to all those within the teams affected by the situation and are continuing to take advice from authorities on the ground."


For the next two months all eyes will be on the Hero Caribbean Premier League T20 tournament and on the defending champions Trinbago Knight Riders, who will be going for an unprecedented hat-trick of titles.

TWO Trinidad and Tobago teams were beaten in the first round of the main draw yesterday in the Caribbean Pre-Cadet and Mini-Cadet Table Tennis Championships in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

KALE Dalla Costa was close to perfect when the Under-12 action in the COTECC (Central American and Caribbean Tennis Confederation) Summer Bowl Junior Tournament served off yesterday at the St Augustine Club, McCarthy Street, St Augustine.

Trinidad and Tobago sprinters Emmanuel Callender and Xavier Mulugata offered words of inspiration to a group of young track athletes, footballers and triathletes at St Anthony’s College, in Westmoorings, last Friday. The beneficiaries were participants in the MP High Performance Training (MPHPT) Speed Camp.

LEON CASSIE and Vance Juteram gained sweet revenge Wednesday night when the international open events of the Caribbean Regional Badminton Confederation (CAREBACO) Championship continued in Barbados.

AFTER losing the first two of their three round-robin fixtures, Trinidad and Tobago’s men will not advance to the tonight’s team semi-finals of the CASA (Caribbean Area Squash ­Association) Championship in Guyana.