APTOPIX Italy Soccer Champions League

Juventus forward Cristiano Ronaldo and his partner Georgina sit in the stands prior to the Champions League, group H soccer match between Juventus and Young Boys, at the Allianz stadium in Turin, Italy, Tuesday, Oct. 2, 2018. (AP Photo/Luca Bruno)

Cristiano Ronaldo denied the accusations of rape against him, saying Wednesday that he had a "clear conscience" as he awaits the conclusions of an investigation.

The 33-year-old Ronaldo has been accused of rape by Kathryn Mayorga. She has said the soccer great raped her in Las Vegas in 2009.

"I firmly deny the accusations being issued against me. Rape is an abominable crime that goes against everything that I am and believe in. Keen as I may be to clear my name, I refuse to feed the media spectacle created by people seeking to promote themselves at my expense," Ronaldo said in a statement .

"My clear conscience will thereby allow me to await with tranquility the results of any and all investigations."

Ronaldo sent the messages in both Portuguese, his native language, and English on Twitter.

Mayorga filed a civil lawsuit in Nevada last week seeking monetary damages from Ronaldo, according to lawyer Larissa Drohobyczer .

The Associated Press does not typically identify alleged victims of sexual assault, but Drohobyczer said Mayorga gave permission for her name to be used.

The civil lawsuit filed in state court in Las Vegas alleges Ronaldo raped Mayorga, who was then 24, in his penthouse suite at a Las Vegas hotel and hired a team of what the document called "fixers" to shape the monetary settlement, obstruct a police criminal investigation and trick Mayorga into taking $375,000 to keep quiet.

Drohobyczer said Tuesday that Mayorga, now 34, was "emotionally fragile" and agreed to an out-of-court financial settlement nine years ago because she never wanted her name made public.

In an Instagram video posted hours after the suit was filed, Ronaldo appeared to deny the allegations.

Get caught up with news from the news leader
Subscribe now and get access to the Trinidad Express E-paper
SUBSCRIBE/ LOG IN

"Fake. Fake news," said the five-time world player of the year. "You want to promote by my name. It's normal. They want to be famous, to say my name. But it is part of the job. I am a happy man and all good."

Mayorga met Ronaldo at a nightclub, according to the lawsuit, and went with him and other people to his suite, where the alleged attack took place in a bedroom.

On Tuesday, Las Vegas police spokesman Aden OcampoGomez said that because the investigation is open, the department would not make public a police report that Mayorga filed the day of the alleged attack. The lawsuit said Mayorga also went to a hospital, where a sexual assault medical examination was conducted.

However, Mayorga refused to tell police the location of the alleged attack or to identify a suspect other than to say he was a European soccer player, OcampoGomez said.

Ronaldo, who is a Portuguese citizen, went from Manchester United to Real Madrid in 2009 for a then-record sum of 94 million euros, or about $130 million. He now plays for Italian club Juventus.

The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages of at least $200,000. It makes 11 accusations against Ronaldo or those working for him, including conspiracy, defamation, abusing a vulnerable person, battery, infliction of emotional distress, coercion and fraud, racketeering and conspiracy, breach of contract, abuse of process and negligence for allowing details of the confidential settlement to become public.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Team TTO’s Kwesi Browne suffered a harrowing crash during his Men’s keirin repechage yesterday, on day two of the 2019 Pan Am Elite Track Cycling Championships underway at the high-altitude Cochabamba, Bolivia Velodrome. But his teammate Keron Bramble went on to capture bronze on a day of mixed emotions for the national cycling contingent.

Marquee all-rounder Hayley Matthews will take no part in the series against Australia after being pulled from the West Indies Women’s squad for disciplinary reasons.

Despite winning their opening match of the Hero Caribbean Premier League on Wednesday night, Trinbago Knight Riders skipper Kieron Pollard recognised that the defending champions will need to put in a bigger effort with the bat if they are to overcome the “Universe Boss” and company in their second match at Queen’s Park Oval from 8pm this evening.

FIVE JAMAICA-bred three-year-olds look set to take on four native-bred and one Barbados-bred three-year-old in this year’s running of the 2,000-metre Trinidad Derby Stakes, which will be contested on September 24 at Santa Rosa Park, Arima.

Professional football action should begin on October 4, according to the newly-appointed Football Committee.

Kieron Pollard got the start he wanted to his Trinbago Knight Riders career Wednesday night.